Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 2.0d4d engine and head gasket

WB80

Hi Folks, hope you could offer me some advice please? I'm after a reliable Toyota for a daily commute of 60 miles total (and around 14k miles/year), around 50mpg and looking to own for at least three years. I've viewed and driven a 2007 Avensis 2.0D4D for sale (AD1 engine?). The car seems well looked after: FTSH, one owner from new and 64k miles (with MOT certs) on the clock; seemed to drive fine on a 20 minute drive, getting the car up to 70mph. But, from reading the forum and other reviews, is it correct that head gasket issues are 'common' on this engine?

I took a photo of the coolant expansion tank, which shows a little way below 'L' when the vehicle is cold, as per the image attached (I only guess that the 'L' means 'Low', the 'F' means 'Full', but as for 'B'?). I've been informed by an independent mechanic that this level of coolant is not problematic in itself (the previous service was 14 months/6k miles ago), however I'm aware from this forum of the low coolant level/leaks leading to head gasket problems, so I would be most grateful for any advice? The oil and cap looks clean to me, as per the image. 

Finally, would an AA inspection pre-purchase identify the potential of head gasket issues, or would he/she also have to be issued with a crystal ball in order to do so?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

WB

20180512_131234.jpg

20180512_131337.jpg

20180512_131210.jpg

That level of coolant is lower than would be expected for a 1ad engine, but it also looks nice and red. My cynical nature would suspect that someone has been topping it up, but it could just be well maintained like mine, where I change it every 4 years. Check for white deposits behind the coolant filler cap after running, and pressure in the system +when cold+ on removing the cap. If either is found, suspect the head gasket.

A small percentage of ad engines were affected, subjectively the 2.0 was least affected, probably the order of a few percent. If the vehicle uses oil then it's likely to exhibit the head gasket issue because one is caused by the other. At the mileage you mentioned it's likely but not certain that the vehicle would have already expressed the fault.

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Ian, many thanks for your reply. I will make the checks as you suggest. I appreciate you taking the time to comment, thanks again.

Mine is a 2007 petrol, which has pink coolant. Anyway don't really need to top it up, as you need to change the coolant every 10 years, so maybe check log book for coolant changes.

45 minutes ago, m456an said:

Anyway don't really need to top it up, as you need to change the coolant every 10 years

The first coolant change is at 10 years/100,000 miles, but subsequent changes are at 5 years/50,000 miles (diesel) or 6 years/60,000 miles (petrol).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, thanks for your comments in advice, much appreciated. Checks done and car bought, running sweetly so far. Thanks again :) 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links