Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ABS warning light and no Power steering

tahirawan11

Hi, 

I have an Toyota Aygo Automatic from 2008. When i stopped the car at a signal. All of a sudden the ABS warning light turns on and the steering wheel becomes hard to turn on. In addition the speedometer needle also goes up and down quickly.

What could have gone wrong here and what parts would need replacement?

thanks

IMG_5223.jpeg

Hi Tahir,the combined symptoms you described point towards a potential issue with your car's Anti lock Braking System (ABS) and possibly the electronic stability control (ESC) system. ABS wheel speed sensor,these sensors monitor the speed of each wheel. A faulty sensor might send incorrect signals to the ABS computer, triggering the warning light and erratic speedometer reading. In some cases the ABS system might misinterpret the data and cause a temporary hard steering sensation.

The ABS control module receives signals from the wheel speed sensors and manages the ABS system. A malfunctioning module could misinterpret sensor data, leading to the warning light and abnormal steering.While less likely in this case a failing power steering system can also cause a hard steering wheel, but this wouldn't typically be accompanied by an ABS light or erratic speedometer.Hope this helps.:smile:

Many thanks for explanation, can you tell me is it safe to drive with hard steering for few days until i take the car to a workshop?

Can i self change the ABS cable? Also how costly it is to replace ESC module?

many thanks

30 minutes ago, tahirawan11 said:

Many thanks for explanation, can you tell me is it safe to drive with hard steering for few days until i take the car to a workshop?

Can i self change the ABS cable? Also how costly it is to replace ESC module?

many thanks

I actually drove my Aygo without Power Steering to do food delivery for 2 weeks.

So if you have the strength to turn the wheel without electric assist, you are welcome to try.

(Performing a 3 point turn without power steering was not easy)

Ok, thanks for replay 😀

but i was wondering if there is one ABS censor at wheel or it is in front wheels only? And if the sensors ate different from left /right and front/rear wheels?

Hi Tahir,In modern vehicles equipped with ABS (anti-lock braking system), there are typically ABS sensors at each wheel. These sensors detect the speed of rotation for each wheel. Most systems have sensors for all wheels, so both front and rear wheels are covered. Additionally, the sensors are usually identical for left and right wheels but may differ between front and rear wheels due to design variations.Do you have a scan tool, if so see if this brings up any fault codes. If you are not able to do the investigation work and repair work yourself IMO I would ask a mechanic to fix this for you.Hope this helps.

Thanks for info. But now i think i have a completly  different issue. The day i had ABS sensor issue; on the way back from office i barely managed to drive back home. After i have ABS warning, i also got Battery warning light and wen i checked the Battery voltage then i got a Battery voltage of 6 volts only and i then replaced the battery with another battery then i can start the car and I did not got ABS sensor warning but when i checked battery voltage with another battery i can measure 12 Volts only so I think the generator is not charging the battery so something is wrong with charging system. I googled and found out that there is a fuse for generator but it is placed under the fuse box which is difficult to access. Does anyone know how to access generator /Charging fuse as i think this could be the issue. (Fused is marked with circle in attached attachment)

IMG_5229.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links