Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rust near reversing camera

monkeydave

anybody else got rust near the reversing camera?

the first pic shows a bubble in the paint and was taken after i had polished off most on the surface brown

the second pic shows even more inside

the third is painted after removing all i could see (before i saw the flash pic) with gel and painting over but after seeing the flash pic i dont think i got the rust up on the left

i cant get to it because of the plastic boot cover, i have just discovered this today after washing and waxing the car and i didnt notice this brown colour before

as you can see from the flash pic there is more around the metal up inside and now i have painted it to stop it getting worse i suppose it is not covered under warranty (i just used rust remover gel to get back to the clean white origional paint and painted over i didnt remove any origional paint)

DSC01517.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

It would have covered by the three year paintwork warranty, although now you've done a diy job and painted it yourself, not sure whether it will be now. Best thing would have been to check your warranty and take it to your dealer without adding anything to it.

If the paint you have put on is Toyota touch-up paint (i.e. in the slender tube), then it can be removed with cellulose thinners and a cotton bud.  This is available from Halfords etc. for under £10. The original body paint is not cellulose paint and won't be affected.  However, the plastic camera, and perhaps the boot trim are best not allowed to come into contact with it.  Some dexterity/care is needed!

If the dealer is friendly enough, he may be willing to put through your original photo you've posted here to Toyota warranty department as evidence, my local dealer used my photos when they forgot to take their own pictures before commencing warranty work.

HTH

Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Don't you just hate it, when someone has a problem, one of the replies is, nothing wong with mine.:laugh:

That is somewhere I never really inspect closely. I've just had a look at mine, although Decuma Grey and less likely to show rust than white, there's no rust evident, thankfully.

If, as Gerg says, it is Toyota paint, then it's more than likely water based. It might even come off using rubbing alcohol (very carefully). If not I would still visit your dealer explaining you've tried to minimise the spread and present the pictures.

As a precaution I've treated the area with Dinitrol Coroheat, clear anticorrosion aerosol. Good luck.

thanks guys, the thing about this rust is it rubs off with autoglym super resin polish to go back down to small spots where it has been coming from since the car was new (i only discovered it yesterday as i was washing and waxing the car) and after painting i dont think i went high enough on the left side so might just try to use the rust remover gel on that bit and the slight bits higher up and at the top and then paint them

i have only just come back from the dealer not even two months ago with the chain replacement so dont really want to go back for this and i have had similar to this rust problem under the rear water washer grommet and i polished it off and then painted it last year and that is holding up well so i might do the same with this bit too (if i can get the brush though the gap, if not i will have to go to the dealer)

Which paint do you have? The solid white or the glacier pearl?

I still have yet to get photos of the boot area of mine (months after saying I would) but as yet, no rust spots that I have noticed. I have cleaned off a lot of moss that accumulated over winter (I hadn't washed the car for about 4 months).

I'll have a look at mine in the camera area and see how it looks.

Are you near the sea? Just wondering if your location is having an effect.

Rather than trying to fix it myself, I'd take it to Toyota to get it looked at under warranty. If it is like that *this* side of the camera, what is it like underneath? I'd also be looking to see if water is ingressing somewhere it shouldn't (though I do spray upwards into that area with a hosepipe...hmm..).

I would also check the drain holes in the very bottom of the tailgate itself are clear. When you open the boot, the edge that you would bash your head off has a series of small holes on the inside for drainage. Might be worth checking they are clear and free of rust, too.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:52 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Which paint do you have? The solid white or the glacier pearl?

I still have yet to get photos of the boot area of mine (months after saying I would) but as yet, no rust spots that I have noticed. I have cleaned off a lot of moss that accumulated over winter (I hadn't washed the car for about 4 months).

I'll have a look at mine in the camera area and see how it looks.

Are you near the sea? Just wondering if your location is having an effect.

Rather than trying to fix it myself, I'd take it to Toyota to get it looked at under warranty. If it is like that *this* side of the camera, what is it like underneath? I'd also be looking to see if water is ingressing somewhere it shouldn't (though I do spray upwards into that area with a hosepipe...hmm..).

I would also check the drain holes in the very bottom of the tailgate itself are clear. When you open the boot, the edge that you would bash your head off has a series of small holes on the inside for drainage. Might be worth checking they are clear and free of rust, too.

i just have to basic white, i have cut the bubble off and there was no rust under it so i primed and painted it and the bits i cant get to i sprayed grease in those areas, i have been luck with the hot weather and it has dried a treat

you wont see anything inside the camera hole unless you use a torch or a flash of a camera, once i waxed it down the surface rust vanished and normal paint is left (exept from the bubble), there is just spots on the metal that the rust comes from and it is either covered in paint or grease now

i have no water ingress into the boot or boot lid and the drain holes are good

i have said in the past there is not enough paint in the unseen areas of these cars and the prices they charge for "extra colours" even though they are solid not metalic you would have thought they could spray it a bit thicker so it allows the high points from the spot welds etc not to come through the paint and have surface rust that needs removing and covering in white grease

i dont really want to take this to the dealers to be messed about like i was with the chain tensioner and i have a really great body and paint guy round the corner if i need anything that extreme in the future

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, Gerg said:

If the paint you have put on is Toyota touch-up paint (i.e. in the slender tube), then it can be removed with cellulose thinners and a cotton bud.  This is available from Halfords etc. for under £10. The original body paint is not cellulose paint and won't be affected.  However, the plastic camera, and perhaps the boot trim are best not allowed to come into contact with it.  Some dexterity/care is needed!

If the dealer is friendly enough, he may be willing to put through your original photo you've posted here to Toyota warranty department as evidence, my local dealer used my photos when they forgot to take their own pictures before commencing warranty work.

HTH

hi greg

can you tell me how long they took when you took you car in for paint inspection and also what format did they want the pictures in (paper, on cd/flash drive or emailed to them) and then how long after did you get the work done once toyota approved

thanks for your help, also what part of your car did you get repainted

12 hours ago, monkeydave said:

thanks for your help, also what part of your car did you get repainted

Ah!, I should have given a fuller description.  The warranty work wasn't for paintwork.  They used my pictures on two occasions, both times as jpegs emailed to them.  Once as evidence of a failed reversing camera (water had got into the lens when they had pressure washed the car after a service), and once for water leaks into both back lights (that had started to leak after they were removed to replace the reversing camera).

• 2 months later...

I hate pressure washers!

I did request at my last service that they do NOT wash the car, but they washed it anyway. 🙄

28 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I hate pressure washers!

I did request at my last service that they do NOT wash the car, but they washed it anyway. 🙄

Had ours serviced yesterday, and they asked me if I would like them to wash it.  I said,  "Yes please, and if they could clean the inside and put the vacuum cleaner it there too that it would be nice."

They did ................ and the car was like a new pin when I picked it up.  🙂

Mick.

• Like 1

Nice!

I apparently have some mud splashes near the front wheels that won't go. Not sure how to get rid of them without taking the paint off as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links