Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cracks In tyre tread?

sproutdreamer

I thought I would have a look at my front brake pads and see what life they had as they were replaced 4 years ago. They were all ok @ about 5/6mm. I had a look at the tyres which both had about 3/4mm of tread however they both had numerous small but not continuous cracks in the treads at the base of the tread blocks. These were running around the circumference of the tyres.  I have seen sidewall perishing and cracks before but have never noticed this type of cracking. Is this something that is common; I am surprised that the MOT tester a couple of months ago did not pick this up even just as an advisory. Just interested.

Keith, It sounds to me like it would be a good idea to visit your local tyre depot for checks. Rubber does perish with age and it may be that is the case here, just to be on the safe side

Del

Tyre cracks are common on older tyres, it is a natural drying out process of the rubber compound, chemical and ozone damage can also affect them however if you have cracks on the sidewall it is time to change your tyres. Whilst in the UK the legal limit is 1.6mm, the tyre becomes far less effective below 3mm, so it is probably time to think about changing your tyres, especially if you can see anything untoward on the sidewall 

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. I suspect these are pretty old tyres. Sidewalls look fine just the cracks between the treads. I have them booked in to be replaced tomorrow. I would have left it a while for just pottering about locally but  motorway journeys need more certainty with the tyres.

• Like 1

Check the date on the tyres..!...but usually cracks = age..and it's time to consider renewal.

I do not use tyres that are older than 5 years....irrelevant of tread depth.!

25 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

Check the date on the tyres..!...but usually cracks = age..and it's time to consider renewal.

I do not use tyres that are older than 5 years....irrelevant of tread depth.!

I remember reading that tires can be sold as "new" even if they are up to 5 yrs old, so one must pay attention when buying.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/FAQs/Questions_about_our_products_Tyres_Questions_about_tyre_age.html

Tyres are rated as ‘brand-new’ if stored correctly for up to 3 years and as ‘new’ if stored for up to 5 years.

You should go on the motorways. See tyres treads littering the central reservation or hard shoulder. This is why I do tyre checks including the pressures. 

Another sign of a tyre failing internally is when one sounds like a failing wheel bearing. It is more audible if the pressure is down or more weight over it. The tyre had good tread, but age, wear and tear caught up with it.  

2 hours ago, furtula said:

I remember reading that tires can be sold as "new" even if they are up to 5 yrs old, so one must pay attention when buying.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/FAQs/Questions_about_our_products_Tyres_Questions_about_tyre_age.html

Tyres are rated as ‘brand-new’ if stored correctly for up to 3 years and as ‘new’ if stored for up to 5 years.

I did of course mean if the tyres had been ON the vehicle and used for 5 years.!!..though I still wouldn't buy 3-5 year old "new" tyres.!

15 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks for replies. I suspect these are pretty old tyres. Sidewalls look fine just the cracks between the treads. I have them booked in to be replaced tomorrow. I would have left it a while for just pottering about locally but  motorway journeys need more certainty with the tyres.

Check out the date made, in that oval box, 0907 = week 09 2007 

IMAG0103.jpg

I have the same problem though tyre tread is good. I have a leak on near side front tyre which needs pumping every 2 or 3 weeks. Though it seems they are very cheap directional tyres called Prestone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links