Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overheating On Lucida

zalds

Hello evryone, just want to know your expert opinion on troubleshooting.

I have an Estima Lucida, a japanese surplus which i bought sometime 3 months ago from a local dealer here in the Philippines. Afterall exhaustive efforts and repairs that I have made, My Lucida keeps on overheating!

I have done several repairs into it. First, I overhauled my radiator and after sometime the overheating ceased. But lo and behold the overheating came back! So I took it back from my mechanic and have found out that I need to replace the overhead cylinder gasket, piston rings, valve guide, and I also took my cylinder head into a machine shop for repairs. In short I have it semi overhauled. Again, the overheating stops for couple of weeks. And now, the !Removed! overheated again! and again! and again! And everytime it overheated, it seems that it needs a little cooling off period (at least 5 to 10 mins) and after that, it will go back to its normal temp.

Is anyone out there knows what is the cause of this overheating problem w/ my Lucida, If so, please help, as I'm really fed up with this problem and It already cost me a fortune for these repairs :crybaby: !

have you fitted a new radiator cap and thermostat if so then i hate to say this (and i hope it isnt) could be a cracked block

TAKE OUT THE THERMOSTAT , DID YOU HAVE THE HEAD PRESSURE TESTED WHILE IT WAS OFF? ALSO WAS THE AIR BLED FROM THE WATER SUPPLY ?

:( Hi Zalds, Im also from Phililppines. Where is your location? Is the water level going down also? or is it over flowing?

To Chitorb:

Hi! My location is in Meycauayan, Bulacan. My worst over heating problem happened last week. The problem is like this, since I lived in the north I usually take the expressway going to my office here in Camp Aguinaldo, So, naturally a 70kph drive from north to balintawak is just okay, the temp remains normal (the reading is about half from the gauge). It will remain normal until I reached Muñoz or Quezon Avenue where the rise in temp will suddenly reached about 3/4 of the gauge. From there, I will normally stop and let it cool off for a while. After the cooling period & when I switched on the engine, it will return to its normal temp and I can eventually reached to my destination (Camp Aguinaldo). But last week its different, same scenario but the temp would increase up & down and continously rising (up to 2 bars before it reached the red mark). Upon checking the hood, I've noticed that the water container is boiling and seemingly at high pressure even coming from the nozzle of the container (the little hose from the water container).

Right now, I've taken my radiator to the shop for conversion, as I was adviced that tubes were already worn out. Also, my radiator mechanic have examined the the tubes & hose leading from the radiator to the engine (one at the top and one at the bottom) and have found out that the tube/hose at the top is generating more heat/pressure, as compared to the one at the bottom tube/hose. It seems that there's something blocking the flow of the water from the radiator to the engine (he suspects that the thermostat might still be there). I've consulted my mechanic and informed me that the thermostat was already removed. So, I would just want to consult to you if by chance you know where the thermostat is located or are there any other parts in there that it should be removed or is not necessary for tropical countries such as ours? Is it also possible that the car heater is still functioning that's why a sudden increase in temp is being felt? ( I just hope that its only the radiator that is causing the over heating)

Please note that I've already semi overhauled my engine recently (replaced my O/H cylinder gaskets, piston rings, valve guides, took my cylinder to a machine shop). My mechanic assured me that the block and the head doesn't have any cracks.

Hoping for your prompt reply soonest.

Thank you & good day! :lol:

zalds

Mobile phone # 09175175690

Im from Cavite and my work is in Makati. Been travelling with Lucida for almost three months now and the temp should be just one stripe low before the halfway mark. BTW, have you checked your waterpump? Check this website: http://mpvi.net/index.html?ace=archive :thumbsup:

Chitorb,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Water pump seems okay. I'll be picking up my newly converted radiator this evening and have my mechanic reinstall it by tomorrow. I just hope the overheating ceases already. Let you know soonest. Thanks for the tips. I'll check the website. :thumbsup:

I would also like to thank maleborn1967 & dawesy for the time and replies thay given to this topic. 'Til next time guys, thanks again! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links