Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 2.2D Suction Control Valve

Nick Talbot

Hello All,

With apologies if I have posted in the wrong place...

I have a SCV question re my Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 2005.  Looking for some guidance / reassurance...

My vehicle has taken to switching to limp-revs, the engine cutting out after 30 seconds.  It tends to do this when cold - but had begun doing it when warmed up.  An event on the M23 last week was not welcome!  All is fine on restart apart from the usual orange engine lights.  A fault code of P0093 is shown - large fuel leak.  The EGR is routinely cleaned, oil and filters (incl fuel) changed every 6000 miles.  Fuel additives are used.

I have been directed to look at the SCV and am making efforts to ID a replacement.  

My engine is a 2ADFHV.  Fuel pump numbers are 22100 0R020 and then HU294000-0301.  I believe the SCV part number is Y04226-26020.

I have made a purchase.  The diesel supplier insists the newly supplied item WILL fit (with the enclosed adapter); My engineer says the new item is not the same as the old item  - and clearly the body of the new item is longer than the old.  Online I find a mixture of products listed as fitting:  The short bodied SCV (like mine) and the long bodied (like the new item purchased). 

Photos attached :  Fuel pump, current SCV, pic of new long bodied SCV.

Any advice as to whether I am going right or going wrong would be welcome...

Thanks.     Nick

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b8c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b8d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b8b.jpeg

Hey,

I think the SCV's for this engine were faulty by design from the factory and the new ones (the one you got) were improved. I can't exactly remember how to get these mounted properly (might not be any problems?) but I do however remember that in order for these new ones to be of any use is to also update the ECU/code the new SCV's in, similar to new injectors. 

I found this topic on here that went in deep with this exact issue: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/142960-starting-problems-20-d4d/

Thanks Byzii - that link is very interesting and informative.  The supplier of the SCV is quite adamant that the item I have is an update of the original SCV, so all good.  But two more questions rear their heads:

1)  If I fit my new, improved, upgraded, longer SCV will I need a software update to make it work properly (I think the answer is YES - and that I can only get this from Toyota).  

2)  Does the SCV sound like a potential culprit for my P0093 fault / engine cut out problem?

NOTE: I do not have a starting problem. No issues starting the vehicle at all.

Thanks

Valve appears similar although Toyotas modified valve has the connector at a right angle to the SCV so it clears the air hose see pics, to gain any of the benefits the new can bring yes you will need the latest engine ECU software installed

#AD#TV SCV valve install 1.png

#AD#TV SCV valve install 2.png

#AD#TV SCV valve install 3.png

#AD#TV SCV valve install 4.png

Just a quick note of thanks to Devon Aygo and Byzii for their helpful replies.  The SCV has now been replaced - an easy enough job for my engineer - and the Supply Pump re-initialised within the car's settings.  Toyota have stated that the SCV is plug-and-play and we appear to be back in business though I've not driven far as yet.  Earlier today the old SCV caused engine cut-off and overfueling on multiple occasions on a trip to the shops.  It was clearly in its death throws.  Fingers crossed we're all sorted now....

• 10 months later...

Did it work. I'm looking to attempt similar repair on 2AD Rav4 engine with similar p0093 fault.

Replaced mine and reset fault codes worry OBDII dongle. Unfortunately the same symptoms remain, if anything slightly worse!! 

I'm beginning to think I must have an injector fault. Car reports P0093 when accelerating under load and goes I to limp mode. Typically occurred about 4500 rpm on 2 gear but now more like 4000rpm.

Help!

• 8 months later...

What's the part number for the uprated SCV shown in the Toyota instruction book above? With the right angled connector? I have the very slow start from cold problem. It used to just be on frosty mornings, but now it's most cool autumn days. Always starts but sounds very weak. Could it be the SCV or starter motor? I had the OBD connected and there were no faults. Advised to use quality diesel and I add Millers Diesel additive but, unlike when it first started, it is happening more frequently  now.

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, Vince88 said:

Replaced mine and reset fault codes worry OBDII dongle. Unfortunately the same symptoms remain, if anything slightly worse!! 

I'm beginning to think I must have an injector fault. Car reports P0093 when accelerating under load and goes I to limp mode. Typically occurred about 4500 rpm on 2 gear but now more like 4000rpm.

Help!

Hello! Did you solve the problem? I have the same symptoms. The pump and scv valve have been replaced. The wiring is ok.

But the maximum scv current is only 1500mA at full throttle.

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, diagnet said:

Hello! Did you solve the problem? I have the same symptoms. The pump and scv valve have been replaced. The wiring is ok.

But the maximum scv current is only 1500mA at full throttle.

Hi Diagnet,

Sorry only just seen your message.

Yes, I resolved the problem. It was a failed injector. I think it was stuck open. The garage established the problem by looking at the amount of fuel returning to the tank for each injector. I think the faulty one was much lower indicating that it was such open.

It cost nearly a grand to fix! I think the injector was £600 but the egr and scv valve replacements were a red herring.

Still don't know why the Toyota garage couldn't diagnose the fault for the £75 (discounted) I paid them. The garage I used diagnosed it in about an hour 

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a toyota verso 2.2 d4d will not start there us no fuel coming out the pump have check fuel at the filter and all good