Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Disc Brakes For Paseo

El_Galliano

Has anyone converted their paseo to have rear disc brakes, can you just use components from the starlet GT's rear disc brake assembley, or any toyota 4x100 rear disc assembly.

Would be nice to know if anyone has any clues for the best and cheapest way to do a quality conversion.

Also TRD Spark Plugs, are they worth it? (20 quid each) me thinks not

The Starlet rear bits should just drop straight in (it does on the Sera anyway). A few people have done this, but not me (yet).

Are all the Seos drum brake rear?

Rich

Spark plugs no not on a N/A engine.

As for the rear disc conversion the only option is the starlet turbo one as thats the only 4x100 toyota rear discs. You want the complete rear beam from the starlet and that will make the conversion much easier.

Check these guys out they offer the conversion:

JBM

I don't know about the TRD plugs, but unless they're Iridium, they're not going to help at all.

as for brakes, starletsy's right.

Hello, i have a 2E 1.3 litre Starlet, I`ve thinking, tha´t maybe the rear disc from a Toyota Corolla maybe able to put into Starlet, That´s can be possible? thanks

did the starlets have ABS, not really sure how abs works but will i need to look out for special calipers or anything? i know jbm say summin about it being different, also £300 for a conversion kit, isn't it just the starlet GT assembly anyway?, do they do it cheaper if you say you dont want rotor and pads with it?

And whats up with no-one doing a 4A GE silvertop engine conversion?, I really shouldn't be the first in England, I will be far too cocky, get on it lads!! (and Lasses)

Don't worry about ABS.

The control servos are located elsewhere. The only thing you may get is the ABS sensor on the rear wheels.

It's probably possible to convert your car to ABS, but it'd be a nightmare to do and cost far too much probably.

Rich

Early gt starlets don't have ABS later ones do.

As for doing a silver top conversion realistically is not worth the bother a starlet turbo motor drops straight in and can be pushed well beyond the accepted 200 - 250 hp limit for a FWD road car.

but its still nice to get to that limit without using a turbo, plus the dimensions dont seem to rule out the possability of a rwd conversion, just might have to do a bit of body cutting, lol

Anyway, gonna see what i get with a 4E first anyway, and also 4A-GE is just so much more impressive, 160 bhp Stock!, you gotta love that, thats almost as much as the new celica T sport, and they are just amazing in my eyes, Also they should def. make that supra, ***** all over the 350z, summin like a 4.5 V8 and it looks the nuts aswell.

cant remember who it was but one of the TOC members did do a rear disk convertion

cost around 400 quid to do the job from what i recall.

J

HELLO, IT WAS I WHO HAVE THE REAR DISC CONV. IT IS QUITE STRAIGHT FORWARD, YOU DONT NEED THE WHOLE STARLET BEAM, THE ONLY ADVANTAGE OF HAVING THE STARLET BEAM IS THAT ITS AN INCH SHORTER ENABLING WIDER WHEES TO BE FITTED. WASTE OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME THO. THE OTHER ITEMS YOU NEED ARE BRAKE DISC, CALLIPER, HAND BRAKE CABLE, PRE BENT COPPER BRAKE LINES WHICH GO STRAIGHT ON TO YOUR ORIGINAL LINE. THE ONLT THING IS IF YOU HAVE ABS, AS I DID, YOU WILL NEED TO PULL OF THE TOOTHED RING FROM THE BACK OF YOR ORIGINAL DRUM AND MACHINE DOWN THE DIA ON THE NEW DISC TO PRESS FIT IT ON. THEN IN THE DUST GAURD AND BRACKET YOU WILL NEED A HOLE MACHINED IN THE EXACT POSSITION OF THE ORIGINAL TO ENABL THE SENSOR TO BE FITTED. THEN WACK IT ALL TOGETHER!

OR IF YOU CANT BE **** TO DO ALL THAT WORK! ASK JB MOTORSPORT IF HE CAN. MAY BE ABLE TO, BUT NOT DEFINATE.

HOPE THAT HELPS

MATT

Wow, i think eventually a rear disc conv. might be a possibility because after all its ok working on a cars power but you need to stop it too!!! ;)

Plus a front big brake conv. just look nuts.!!! :D

HELLO, IT WAS I WHO HAVE THE REAR DISC CONV. IT IS QUITE STRAIGHT FORWARD, YOU DONT NEED THE WHOLE STARLET BEAM, THE ONLY ADVANTAGE OF HAVING THE STARLET BEAM IS THAT ITS AN INCH SHORTER ENABLING WIDER WHEES TO BE FITTED. WASTE OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME THO. THE OTHER ITEMS YOU NEED ARE BRAKE DISC, CALLIPER, HAND BRAKE CABLE, PRE BENT COPPER BRAKE LINES WHICH GO STRAIGHT ON TO YOUR ORIGINAL LINE. THE ONLT THING IS IF YOU HAVE ABS, AS I DID, YOU WILL NEED TO PULL OF THE TOOTHED RING FROM THE BACK OF YOR ORIGINAL DRUM AND MACHINE DOWN THE DIA ON THE NEW DISC TO PRESS FIT IT ON. THEN IN THE DUST GAURD AND BRACKET YOU WILL NEED A HOLE MACHINED IN THE EXACT POSSITION OF THE ORIGINAL TO ENABL THE SENSOR TO BE FITTED. THEN WACK IT ALL TOGETHER!

OR IF YOU CANT BE **** TO DO ALL THAT WORK! ASK JB MOTORSPORT IF HE CAN. MAY BE ABLE TO, BUT NOT DEFINATE.

HOPE THAT HELPS

MATT

Matt,

I have to that I disagree with you.

If the Paseo Drums rear beam is the same as the Starlets, then all the beam is welded and cannot simply just unbolt parts and replace them.

I have just done the conversion of Drums to Discs using a GT (ABS) rear beam. The two beams are totally different.

To do the conversion of changing from drums to disc on the Starlet and Paseo you will need:

A full rear beam from Starlet GT Turbo or Glanza V. Which must include:

Discs

Pads

Calipers

Handbrake cables

all 4 flexible pipes

Tension bar/beam

I can't vouch for the ABS jobbie as I do not have ABS.

I would suggest that while you have your car in pieces to fit the beam, that you put braided hoses on. By putting on the beam, putting on braided hoses and changing my fluid to 5.1DOT it has made an extreme difference!!!

Nath :thumbsup:

it must be different on your car compared to mine as i have done the conversion and i did not use the starlet beam, and it all fits perfect.

so maybe there are slight differences between years of paseo. thats all i can think of, so best check your beam befor buying!

• 19 years later...

Is there any rear drum to disc conversion kits for a 1996 Toyota starlet cd

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links