Sign in to follow this  
Jellylegs7

Toyota Hiace Campervan - to scrap or new engine?

Recommended Posts

Hi 

We have a 1994 Toyota Hiace which we have barely used since buying it at the end of last year. Last week it went kaput though and since being towed back to the garage we have been told the crackshaft has gone so it either needs a completely new engine or we can try selling it as it is. We paid £7K for it at the end of last year, and have been told that we may be able to get a new engine for about £1K and then would have all the work on top of that. Its gutting as just before we bought it apparently it had had a new crack pulley, alternator, radiator and struts put in so we thought it was in good nick. The van itself is in good state with hardly any rust. 

Really not sure where to start with all this! The garage that has it cant do the work so I'm not even sure where we would go for help with it or even if its really worth doing. 

Any advice please? 

TIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Considering the age, even a new engine is risky, but repairing that one seems to be even riskier as it had plenty of work done on it, and still fails.

I personally would try to get a similar engine, since you will be having plenty of spares from the old one.

In case the new engine you get comes with plenty of spares, you might sell the parts of your old one, to recover some of the money.

Also, your profile states 1984, but you wrote your Hiace is 1994.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say...but I think I'd be getting a second opinion just in case.

At that vintage I assume it's diesel.?...and £7k.?....wouldn't want to be paying that for a 25 year old Hiace tbh...even given it's campervan version.

It may be worth throwing a new engine at it if it's really good otherwise (if you can find one.!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, furtula said:

Considering the age, even a new engine is risky, but repairing that one seems to be even riskier as it had plenty of work done on it, and still fails.

I personally would try to get a similar engine, since you will be having plenty of spares from the old one.

In case the new engine you get comes with plenty of spares, you might sell the parts of your old one, to recover some of the money.

Also, your profile states 1984, but you wrote your Hiace is 1994.

Thanks, I have corrected my profile. How would you even go about finding a new engine and making sure its any good!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUToyota said:

Hard to say...but I think I'd be getting a second opinion just in case.

At that vintage I assume it's diesel.?...and £7k.?....wouldn't want to be paying that for a 25 year old Hiace tbh...even given it's campervan version.

It may be worth throwing a new engine at it if it's really good otherwise (if you can find one.!)

it is diesel and not even sure where to start getting a second opinion! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll struggle tbh..they were never thick on the ground in the UK.

Why cannot your garage do any work that's needed.?..is it more a case of not wanting the job.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

I think you'll struggle tbh..they were never thick on the ground in the UK.

Why cannot your garage do any work that's needed.?..is it more a case of not wanting the job.?

They reckon the last time they did something similar it took ages for the engine to come in and the van was taking up too much space on their premises in the meantime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there is a facebook group for the Hiace..no idea if it's useful or even current...but it might be worth a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this