Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Gear Shift Unit

Mick F

Yesterday, I dropped a 20p coin when in Park, and it went into to unit through the gear slots.  I heard it plop into the bottom of the unit.  No issues with the gear selection.

It's only 20p when all's said and done, but it could have been something precious like a wedding ring or something.

How do you get into it to retrieve anything that may have found its way in?  Is there any danger of damaging the selector system with a "foreign object" inside? Why isn't there a proper gaiter over the gear shift to stop this happening?

Mick.

I can't be the only one to have dropped something down the gearshift hole.  Good job it was only a small coin this time.

How do you get into the unit to retrieve a dropped item?

Mick.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, Mick F said:

Why isn't there a proper gaiter over the gear shift to stop this happening?

Mine's not a Hybrid but Multidrive, but there is a "sliding" cover under the selector gate.

However, assuming access is the same, removal of the centre console might be necessary. Starting in the little storage cubby  at the back of the console, under  the rubber mat, is a 10mm socket size bolt - remove. Remove the trim under the the handbrake handle, handbrake applied. Prise out this trim using a flat plastic tool or flat screwdriver suitably wrapped in, say, insulating tape. My traction control and "sport"🤣 button is there. Unplug connector and remove trim fully out of the way. Possibly unscrew selector knob. Lift console from rear, manipulate over handbrake lever and remove. Hopefully access to under "gear" slector is enough to locate and retrieve the 20p.

A good opportunity to do a bit of vacuuming too in those hard to get to places.

• Like 1

Thank you SO much for that info.

20p isn't worth the effort, but we bought our Yaris secondhand at three years old.  Who knows what has fallen in there? 😀

Mick.

It's surprising what you can find in second hand cars. Usually a few coins under the seats when you give it a good clean. My best was £39 in coins, in a bag, in a fold in the fabric of the front passenger seat squab. I'd only just bought it and the seller messed me about, so I kept it.

Found some brand new disc pads under the seat of one car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

Thank you SO much for that info.

20p isn't worth the effort, but we bought our Yaris secondhand at three years old.  Who knows what has fallen in there? 😀

Mick.

Might be adviseable not to go there under the circumstances.😎 Especially not for 20p.

The info could be useful for future reference to access handbrake cable adjustment - if ever necessary. Then look for the 20p at the same time !

44 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

It's surprising what you can find in second hand cars.

Years and years ago, we bought a Minivan from the auctions.  The van had belonged to the parks department of the local city council. It was in a heck of a state but a good runner.

After buying it for the grand sum of £90 we found it had a brand new Battery, five brand new tyres and a full tank of petrol. Other than that, the door pockets were full of dog ends and spent matches, there were three or four concrete blocks and a tarpaulin sheet in the back. We found a couple of quid in change too. We called the car Dirty Girty. 😆  We ran it as a second car - after cleaning it up - for  couple of years and eventually sold it for £350.

Mick.

• 1 year later...

Did you get an answer? My Mum’s wedding ring did fall into the slot 😞

15 hours ago, Tania J said:

Did you get an answer? My Mum’s wedding ring did fall into the slot 😞

Read the post further up from MRPJ.  Very helpful and informative.

I've not bothered with the 20p, but a wedding ring is a precious thing.  We've been married 47 years.

However, assuming access is the same, removal of the centre console might be necessary. Starting in the little storage cubby  at the back of the console, under  the rubber mat, is a 10mm socket size bolt - remove. Remove the trim under the the handbrake handle, handbrake applied. Prise out this trim using a flat plastic tool or flat screwdriver suitably wrapped in, say, insulating tape. My traction control and "sport"🤣 button is there. Unplug connector and remove trim fully out of the way. Possibly unscrew selector knob. Lift console from rear, manipulate over handbrake lever and remove. Hopefully access to under "gear" slector is enough to locate and retrieve the 20p.

Good luck,  Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links