Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kit

hinesh_p

Hi ppl,

Dont want to sound thick but whats the difference between an induction kit and a replacement performance air filter? <_< im thinking of puttin a K&N induction kit in my n/a rev3 mr2,

1. Do modifications like this harm the engine at all? :wacko:

2. How much increase in bhp should i expect? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

HP

A replacement panel filter simply replaces the filter thats fitted at the moment. it probably wont give a large power gain due to the very restrictive air box in the mr2 but the car will rev

much better

I would suggest fitting the k&n induction kit as this replaces the air box and directs cold air straight in to the engine.

You will see a small power gain but the car will feel loads better and

much more responsive, oh and it'll sound very nice!

I fitted a k&n to mine when i first got it and it made a huge difference

The problem with induction kits is that their filtration is generally no where near as good as a paper filter. Having seen a few tests K&N filtration is average compared to a few others. On the MR2 Apexi appears to be the choice, but there are loads of induction kits out there.

i had a k&n and the plastic housing broke and went threw my turbo so i had a turbo rebuilt and got an apexi much better build quality

the choice of fliters i have thought about and pros and cons, been covered before i know, but thought i'd compile a more comprehensive one for turbo

BLitz SUS £150 + vat stainless mesh

Blitz LM £90 +vat dry cotton & gauze

Blitz Sonic Power £259 + vat dry cotton + gauze

Border (2x k&n) £409 + vat wet cotton + gauze

HKS super powerflow £109 + vat wet foam

HKS racing suction kit £259 + vat wet foam

HKS metal Flow £102 + vat stainless mesh

Trust airinx £109 + vat wet foam

K&N 57i £127 + vat wet cotton + gauze

Apexi power intake £96 + vat 'dry type' ?????????

MR2OC shop TB developments £50 inc ??????????

I'll cross out all wet filters as they damage AFMs and seeing as tubby has AFM won't want to damage it.

BLitz SUS £150 + vat stainless mesh

Blitz LM £90 +vat dry cotton & gauze

Blitz Sonic Power £259 + vat dry cotton + gauze

HKS metal Flow £102 + vat stainless mesh

Apexi power intake £96 + vat 'dry type' ?????????

MR2OC shop TB developments £50 inc ??????????

I think midmotorsteve pretty much covered it [ :!Removed!: :lol: ]!

Nice info mate. :thumbsup:

I'd still go HKS Racing Suction every time... but that's just me. :D

foam + oil puts me right off the HKS racing suction. I had a pipercross foam filter and bits of foam got sucked off into the engine, put me off foam forever + oil and AFM isn't supposed to be a good thing.

I'm really on a budget at the moment, I loved my blitz sus on the n/a engine, but £150 is a bit steep, so thinking either the mr2oc shop one £50 i think its a dry cotton gauze filter, or either BLITZ LM, apexi or HKS metal powerflow, although i can't confirm if the hks comes with fitting kit as its offerd as an upgrade to the racing suction and super powerflow kits in many shops.. :(

yes mate, maintanance free. I bought a second hand one which is about a year old and its totally clean inside

btw ive heard good things about the on for sale on mr2oc, i wouldve bought that one but this was the same price!

AFAIC 2 things to keep in mind..........1) the Type III stock airbox is quite a bit better than the Type I & II with regards to air-flow so don't write off a replacement in the factory box. 2) you may get more "air-flow" with a pod but make sure it isn't HOT engine air....so either a heat sheild, box, or move it closer to the side vent which in turn will mean cleaning it more often.

I have a K&N pod :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I have the K&N induction kit which seems to be great. The car was noticably louder than it was with the stock air filter/box, and also more responsive. On my first test run with it up a steep hill in damp conditions the rear wheels spun a couple of times between gear changes :blink:

In the last week or so though Ive decided to go for an Apexi Power Intake Kit, and in saying that, if any of you guys can find me a new one cheaper than £135 then please let me know :thumbsup:

decided to go with the mr2oc shop filter £50 inc delivery, apparently they are made by the company that makes k&n filters, but k&n have their logo ingraved on the top and then add their oil additive. So £50 for a k&n with out the oil, basically making it the same as a blitz LM filter :)

I'll be fabrication a cold air box for it myself

Mine sounds pretty damn good as it is but I think it has a Blitz panel filter coz there's a Blitz Badge on the car. What do people think is the best make of induction kit coz I want one. Cheers.

AFAIC 2 things to keep in mind..........1) the Type III stock airbox is quite a bit better than the Type I & II with regards to air-flow so don't write off a replacement in the factory box. 2) you may get more "air-flow" with a pod but make sure it isn't HOT engine air....so either a heat sheild, box, or move it closer to the side vent which in turn will mean cleaning it more often.

I have a K&N pod :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well said :thumbsup:

Dave!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links