Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wireless android auto.

panmat

Been noticing a lot of people with MY24 cars are getting this feature. Just wondering if this could be enabled on a MY23 car facelift models with the new head unit, perhaps a software update or OTA?

My car was first registered August 23.

dont bother. it is not working properly with android or not working at all. go with a wireless dongle instead.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, miks said:

dont bother. it is not working properly with android or not working at all. go with a wireless dongle instead.

Thank you, I think I saw the MY24 Yaris Cross works with Carplay wireless but Android only wired.  

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Thank you, I think I saw the MY24 Yaris Cross works with Carplay wireless but Android only wired.  

On my MY24 Yaris (hatchback) Android auto is working wirelessly🤨 It was wired only on a my23

• Thanks 1

@coreye9090 good to know, useful for short journeys. 

New feature popup up on Google Map, camera warnings. Previously I only saw a symbol on the map.

2 hours ago, miks said:

Have you set the app up correctly on your phone to allow a wireless connection with Android Auto? (it is not on by default). Also, if you are still running an earlier version, you may need to update the app from the Google Play Store if you haven't already...

16 hours ago, Roy124 said:

it is supposed to work wirelesly with both, Apple and android but in reality it struggles with many android phones, including my Samsung s23. its a hit or miss really

I have a MY24 Corolla and a Samsung smartphone.   I have AA working both wired and wireless.  Wired was easy.   Wireless less so.   

I had already connected my phone by bluetooth and I followed the instructions in the Multimedia manual (because it wasn't completely intuitive).   At first I was getting 'connection failed' messages on the Multimedia screen.   I was struggling to work out what I was doing wrong (I have never had wireless AA on a car before) but, for no apparent reason, it eventually connected.   Since then it connects automatically without any problems every time I start the car.

Thanks for all the replies but I’m still wondering whether it will be an update to the earlier models with upgraded head unit.

Will ask when I take it in for a service.

44 minutes ago, panmat said:

Thanks for all the replies but I’m still wondering whether it will be an update to the earlier models with upgraded head unit.

Will ask when I take it in for a service.

I've got more chance of a date with Drew Barrymore then Toyota updating earlier vehicles to wireless Android Auto. 

Just buy a AA Wireless dongle as they work perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A question about phone Battery drain for those using wireless AA either direct or via a dongle please.   Does it drain the phone Battery quickly (when used for navigation)?

Asking because I have only used wired AA in the past.   I usually do a 400 mile return trip once a month - sometimes split over 2 days but occasionally all on one day (which is around 8 hours driving).   Although I have wireless AA working, I'm thinking that I might as well use it wired to keep the phone Battery charged.

• Like 2

...and you'd be exactly right to be thinking in that way...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SDR said:

A question about phone battery drain for those using wireless AA either direct or via a dongle please.   Does it drain the phone battery quickly (when used for navigation)?

Asking because I have only used wired AA in the past.   I usually do a 400 mile return trip once a month - sometimes split over 2 days but occasionally all on one day (which is around 8 hours driving).   Although I have wireless AA working, I'm thinking that I might as well use it wired to keep the phone battery charged.

i use mine with dongle and it does not drain Battery. but for 8h drive id probably drop the phone on that wireless charger thingy in car instead of keeping it in pocket

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miks said:

i use mine with dongle and it does not drain battery. but for 8h drive id probably drop the phone on that wireless charger thingy in car instead of keeping it in pocket

Thanks, useful to know.   Unfortunately, my phone doesn't have wireless charging ☹️

50 minutes ago, SDR said:

Thanks, useful to know.   Unfortunately, my phone doesn't have wireless charging ☹️

Does your car have wireless charging?

You can get a charging dongle* that plugs into the phone and lies on the back of the phone.

As far as I can see, that is only useful if you have a wireless charging pad at home.

In theory wireless charging is a good idea, we 3 watches, and an electric tooth brush but they all use a different adapter.   

*took me 3 goes to avoid dingle dangle for dongle. 

Here is one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyMAX-Super-Fast-Wireless-Compatible-Universal/dp/B081HX1D18/ref=asc_df_B081HX1D18/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598160600105&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=895259916526313902&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006745&hvtargid=pla-1025530726947&psc=1&mcid=fcb44c1e43c333e0b17bfec2f8300872

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Does your car have wireless charging?

You can get a charging dongle* that plugs into the phone and lies on the back of the phone.

As far as I can see, that is only useful if you have a wireless charging pad at home.

In theory wireless charging is a good idea, we 3 watches, and an electric tooth brush but they all use a different adapter.   

*took me 3 goes to avoid dingle dangle for dongle. 

Thanks, more useful to know!   The car does have wireless charging, the phone doesn't, I didn't know about the dingle/dangle/dongle 😂

I've recently bought an air vent mount for the phone that works very well with the central vents on the Corolla (more useful advice on this forum) so the phone lives directly above the usb c charging/data port.

So I've just ordered a short data cable and will simply plug the phone in on longer journeys.   Sometimes simple is best...

At least my toothbrush charges wirelessly, as does the hearing aid 🙄

1 hour ago, SDR said:

😂

So I've just ordered a short data cable and will simply plug the phone in on longer journeys.   Sometimes simple is best...

In my car I wanted a left angle USB lead to USB C.  Eventually got one about 6 inches long.  Works well but is too short to use the phone whilst connected and parked (removes temptation while driving).

I managed to get a longer left angle lead but AA kept dropping out.  It really is lead sensitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I managed to get a longer left angle lead but AA kept dropping out.  It really is lead sensitive. 

That's useful to know too.   That said, I have wireless AA set up anyway so, as long as the lead keeps the phone Battery charged, I suppose it won't matter if the wired connection doesn't work. 

SDR, if I could get reliable Wireless in the Yaris then for longer journeys I could use the cable from the 12v socket for charging. 

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

SDR, if I could get reliable Wireless in the Yaris then for longer journeys I could use the cable from the 12v socket for charging. 

For sure.   I don't know where the usb and 12v sockets are in a Yaris.   

In a Corolla, the 12v socket is inside the centre console box between the front seats (along with a usb c socket for charging only).    The usb c charging/data socket is in a slightly odd place just to the right of the glove box;   but it is directly under my phone. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, miks said:

Does anyone have a link to a wireless AA unit that actually works? TIA

Buying an AA wireless adaptor. Then buying a dongle to provide wireless charging for when wireless AA is in use.

Where is the sense in that?

Just plug the phone in and let it provide AA and charging at the same time over a cable that almost certainly costs nothing because we've all got more USB cables lying around than we know what to do with.

1 hour ago, solfer said:

Does anyone have a link to a wireless AA unit that actually works? TIA

Carlinkit air v5

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Buying an AA wireless adaptor. Then buying a dongle to provide wireless charging for when wireless AA is in use.

Where is the sense in that?

Just plug the phone in and let it provide AA and charging at the same time over a cable that almost certainly costs nothing because we've all got more USB cables lying around than we know what to do with.

AA is pretty fussy about cables tho

9 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

AA is pretty fussy about cables tho

How can software be 'fussy' about a digital cable?

All you need is a cable that adheres to the USB data standard and has the correct plugs on it. I can guarantee that using a cable will result in fewer connection issues than relying on radio signals.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links