Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

58 Aygo MMT Clutch burn out?

SlipDisc

I've had my 58 Aygo semi-auto MMT for 4 years now and put about 70k miles on it (total just over 100k now).

I've had the occasional issue with the gearbox but infrequent. It's usually that it seems to get stuck in a gear and won't change up unless I switch to manual.

But, yesterday while sat in traffic there was an acrid burning smell that lasted a couple of minutes. Got home and confirmed the smell was us (not the car in front etc). Now there's a gentle scraping noise when I lift off the accelerator - like two metal plates scrapping but not being pushed together hard.

I think the burning was the clutch, so wondering what might cause it to go spontaneously while stationery and idling - do I need to worry about the clutch and gear actuators as well?

I've not checked for fault codes, the engine light had been on for a while for one of co2 sensors in the exhaust but it runs fine and passes it emissions test - I just won't know if there are any other new codes 'till the morning...

Any thoughts or advice welcomed.

Niall

From my experience (so far 3 clutch replacements all under warranty in the last 10 years of ownership) from what you describe I do believe it suggests you need a replacement clutch. This is a key reason why I renew the Toyota Extended Warranty on the Aygo in our family.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting.

How long do these clutches generally last, and what's replacement cost?

• 3 months later...

Vast known problem on early Aygo's mk1 MMTs (google help) the clutch may have to be replaced at very low mileage.

I had to do mine recently as it was worn at 45000Km only (but my car is 14 years old), town driving short drives.

Tentatively claimed against T for such low mileage and was denied any compensation on argument it was an old car...

Worn part was the clutch bearing,  the clutch itself still had 1/2mm left of material before limit. I paid 1100EUR in France.

Advice : even with MMT, when stopped at the traffic light, you have to put to neutral otherwise slightly there is wear over time...

On 11/16/2019 at 3:46 PM, Hal Mercier said:

Interesting.

How long do these clutches generally last, and what's replacement cost?

Not strictly the same as I have a facelifted 2012 Aygo with a manual, but. 80,000 miles and the clutch is starting to play up. Heavy clutch pedal, sometimes judders when engaging and a bit of slip. Toyota quoted around £800 for a new clutch ! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links