Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3ZZ FE 1.6VVTI red oil light on

James_Delahunt

hi everyone recently got meself another 2007 avensis this time with 3ZZ FE 1.6vvti engine 394000kms on the clock. 

was driving 30 mile journey the ither day and red oil light started flickering on dash as i was driving approx 15miles into journey engine fulky warm pulled in to check oil level oil level was ok but not changed in a while. I continued on till i had my journey compkete and engine waa kinda noisy when i got there rattly or knocking kinda with oil light still on. Im training as mechanic so decided to get busy. first i done an engine oil flush and drained old oil then i took down sump cleaned fully and took down gauze or oil pickup and cleaned thoroughly ok and put all back togetger all good no leaks grand also new oil and filter. then to verify i was getting good oil pressure and pump not failing i took oil pressure gauge and took readings readings all good 62psi fully warm at 3000rpm as repair manual states between 43psi and 72psi and more than 4.3psi at idle however at idle i was getting 18psi so fairly ok oil pump is not culprit however after doing all this work i was happy to see oil light dissapeared but other day car was on 5mike journey being revved quite high 5500rpm to 6000rpm and when car came back to yard no oil light on dash but when youd rev it oil light woould flick on and off 

IMm now of the suspucion crankshaft or bearings might be culprit or other oilways in block or head clogged or blocked or so what do ye think?

also forgot to mention i done ohring on tensioner as old one was leaking cleaned map sensor and also im planning to change catalytic converter rear end links antirollbar bushes and a ns driveshaft oil seal 

I would suspect that the oil pressure sender may be intermittently faulty.

• Like 1

Am I reading this right, you got a 12 year old car, with 400,000 km (that’s over 240,000 miles), with possibly (suspected) oil pressure problem, so much so you taken off the sump, then you go on a trip where the car is revved to 5500/6000 rpm.  Why?
I don’t think I revved any of the cars I driven in the whole of the 55 years I been driving to 5500+ rpm, never mind one with suspected engine problems.

• Like 2

From the information you've quoted I don't think there is much wrong with that engine. You maybe have a sender or warning light problem. Use your energies in fitting an aftermarket oil pressure guage (one with electric sender) and keep an eye on it.

I'd also be using a slightly thicker oil than when new (e.g. 10W40 rather than 5W30).

7 hours ago, mrfixer said:

From the information you've quoted I don't think there is much wrong with that engine. You maybe have a sender or warning light problem. Use your energies in fitting an aftermarket oil pressure guage (one with electric sender) and keep an eye on it.

I'd also be using a slightly thicker oil than when new (e.g. 10W40 rather than 5W30).

well yes the oil pressure sensor could be faulty that was said to me by toyota master tech whom i work with he said that he doesnt think that the bearings in bottom end are bad but the knocking noise might not be engine but inlet manifold and ive seeen quite a few stories bout 3zz inlet manifolds going bad but yeah might get new oil pressure sensor as i tested the oil pressure twice after carrying out my work and all readings complied or reflected the data from toyota shop repair manual

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links