Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold start toyota auris hybrid 2010

Tore Arvid Hansen

Im having problem starting the car when its below - 10 degrees. 

Almost all light are flashing on the dashboard, but buy using jumper cables the car starts. 

Haven't tested the Battery yet, Sunday an all. 

Most likely a Battery problem but not sure. 

Almost all light are flashing on the dashboard, but buy using jumper cables the car starts. 
Haven't tested the battery yet, Sunday an all. 
Most likely a battery problem but not sure. 

The Toyota Hybrids have a quite ordinary 12 V Battery which has the main task to power up the Hybrid Synergy Drive. As it does not have to crank the engine (like in other cars) this Battery is substantially smaller. I just did a quick comparison on a web page of a Battery dealer. He recommends a 12 Volt 52 Ah battery for the Yaris 1.5 with petrol engine. The Yaris Hybrid (my car) gets a 12 Volt battery with only 35 Ah.

On my car, the starter battery is located under the rear seat, together with the big Hybrid battery. As the battery has only 35 Ah, it is probably substantially smaller than a "normal" battery for a non-Hybrid car. So I assume that I could not fit a bigger 52 Ah battery into my car, it simply won't fit in the battery compartment.

You mention that your Auris is a 2010 model, so it is almost ten years old by now. From what I have read, the starter batteries seem to be a weak spot of Toyota Hybrids, the average lifespan seems to be about 5 years. If the battery in your Auris is the original equipment as delivered from the factory, it should have died five years ago, and your current battery is five years old now - time to get a new one.

If I were you, I would be very cautious to get the right replacement. Japanese cars are known to use batteries which do not follow European standards. Sometimes their poles have a smaller diameter than batteries for European cars, and your battery probably is smaller than a battery for an ordinary VW Golf or Renault Clio. If you do not want to buy the battery at a Toyota dealer (expensive...), maybe you can take the old battery out of the car and bring it to the battery shop and compare it with the replacement.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

The 12v Battery of an Auris Hybrid is in the boot. Its not the "usual" acid Battery, which could split in the event of a rear end crash and Battery acid spilt onto passengers, so its an AGM battery that is fitted, completely sealed therefore non spillable. Cost about £120 from Toyota dealer inc VAT. No cheaper anywhere else I dont think, I bought one which I thought I was being clever not going to Toyota dealer and it cost me £130 and 50 mile extra journey.                       

Sounds like your battery on the way out, go to Mr T and ask them to check it out, being prepared mentally that a new battery is going to be the result.

AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat is an advanced lead-acid battery that provides superior power to support the higher electrical demands of today's vehicles and start-stop applications. AGM batteries are extremely resistant to vibration, are totally sealed, nonspillable and maintenance-free.

AGM batteries are quite popular amongst motorcycle riders, but I assume that most motorcycles use smaller batteries, something lower than 20 Ah.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

8 hours ago, Tore Arvid Hansen said:

Haven't tested the battery yet, Sunday an all. 

Most likely a battery problem but not sure. 

Almost certainly the 12v Battery.
The 12v Battery will get ‘weaker’ when it gets colder. Hence winter is when most batteries need replacement.

It’s main job is to power up the computers and work the relay that brings into play the big hybrid Battery - BUT it also needs to pump up the hydraulics for the brakes. If it doesn’t have enough muscle to do that, that reduces the voltage to the computers, which then can’t work properly and get terribly confused - and that means you can see a random set of warnings on the dashboard (and the big battery doesn’t get connected, so you can’t get going, and the 12v doesn’t get charged up {from the big battery, not the petrol engine directly!})

If your Toyota organisation doesn’t do the same deal as we have in the UK, you might find an AGM ‘traction’ battery that would physically fit, and provide greater usable capacity. These batteries are designed for invalid scooters and golf buggies, but they are well suited to the hybrid, because our 12v battery doesn’t start the petrol engine, and therefore doesn’t need to be able to produce that short but massive burst of power. Those scooter batteries are designed to withstand being flattened without damaging the battery. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links