Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1994 Corolla gxi driveshaft help!

RogerHinds

Hi Folks

New to the forum - sorry to be asking for help and advice right away.

We have a 1994 (M reg) Corolla 1.8gxi 16 valve (with ABS) and the n/s driveshaft has given up. I've tried everywhere but nobody seems to have these. I could get one from Toyota, but it's about £500 plus VAT - we can't stretch to that! Do any of you know where I might get one. Happy to have second hand as long as it's OK. I need the drivesahft and CV joint. Based in Cheshire, but happy to travel for one if needed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roger

if you go to a Motor factors they should be able to source one failing that get your one refurbed

i will have a look-see

N/S that's the short one ? Has the inner joint gone ?

Toyota part number. 43420-02280

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eurodriveline-Driveshaft-CV-Joint-Fits-Toyota-Front-Left-Near-Side/283689228005?hash=item420d3216e5:g:~YIAAOSwubdd3Sa4

If not you can buy the ends as kits for around £160 for both (aftermarket)

43040-02040 inner

43460-09611 outer

if you PM me your vin i will double check those numbers

Hi,

Not sure of your exact model, but you could try this site and contact them direct if they do not list one;  they source from all around the EU etc

Also try the online catalogues of Blueprint and First Line as they may still list them ...?

Email the online car scrap dealers , they may just have one...

000049.jpg

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

if you go to a Motor factors they should be able to source one failing that get your one refurbed

i will have a look-see

N/S that's the short one ? Has the inner joint gone ?

Hi - tried motor factors - zilch. The car is the 1.8 GXi and that seems to be what the issue is - not may made so not much call for parts.

You asked for the VIN number - sent on PM

2 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Not sure of your exact model, but you could try this site and contact them direct if they do not list one;  they source from all around the EU etc

Also try the online catalogues of Blueprint and First Line as they may still list them ...?

Email the online car scrap dealers , they may just have one...

000049.jpg

Also tried lots of online scrap yards.

No luck so far.

Thanks for all the replies.

Roger 

If you search those Part numbers above you will find

I will look it up in a bit or first thing

Excellent - got your PM and will try to find it in there. Thanks for the info.

The parts above are incorrect

LH shaft -  43420-12330 and 90178-22010 (nut)  - searches so far have just found outer CVs

Inner CV. 43403-12040

Outer CV 43470-19175  and 90178-22010 (nut)

if the shaft is fine, replace the cv's

cross ref those parts to Febest

Febest 0110-009A48

Febest 0111-001

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob

I've not been ignoring this, but I want t take the old drive shaft off so I can compare before I go ahead.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

OK, driveshaft removed - all looks OK other than the outer CV joint that has disintegrated. The inner one looks good so I'm leaving that and just replacing the outer one. Old 'knuckle' removed from the driveshaft and new CV joint ordered as above.

The driveshaft was pretty easy to remove from the car and the knuckle gave way easily with a quick squirt of good ol' WD40!

Looking forward to getting it all done and the car back on the road now.

I'll probably replace the front brake discs whilst I'm under there.

Fingers crossed for the MOT.

Thanks for the help and advise chaps!

• 2 months later...

Just following up on this thread.

The CV joint is done, but I need to add the ABS ring.

Can I use the ABS ring from the old CV joint or can these be bought new?

Any advice on how to get the old one off if that is something that can be done or where to buy a new one?

The MOT has picked up on a few brake related issues.

Are the callipers available new - where is the best place to get them - and does anyone have any part numbers? My car is the GXi version so I assume the brake parts are different to other models.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rog

The cv should come with the ring installed unless you were supplied the non abs item

calipers are available, pm me you vin and i will look up the oe numbers

Hi - thanks for the info. Yes, I have checked the website that I got the CV joint from and I did order the ABS version and the photo has the ABS ring on it, but the part I got didn't have it on. I have contacted the supplier and await their reply.

Fingers crossed!

Update on the CV joint.

As Bob suggested above, they sent the wrong CV joint. 

I checked and the part I ordered had the ABS ring but the one I got didn't. Part numbers all matched the one with. Anyway, I contacted the supplier to see if they would send the correct one, but they washed their hands of it. So I bought another one with the ABS ring from a different supplier and I'll fit that if it's correct when it arrives. It was only £18 so not much out of pocket!

Regarding the brakes - I've got all the callipers off now and new ones on the way - thanks for the input Bob and Oldcodger (sorry I don't know your name!).

I've ordered discs, callipers, pads etc and the dust shields for the fronts. I can't find anyone who has the dust shields for the backs - anyone any idea? The backs aren't as bad as the fronts, but whilst I'm in there I'd like to replace it all.

Thanks to all for your help so far. I will get there!

Roger

I have another query on the brakes, but I've put it in a different thread to make it easier for future searches.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links