Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intro to my super cheap Yaris

MyFirstToyota

Hi everyone, 

I am new here and thought I had to make an account and some uploads for my yaris! 

The back story, I needed a super cheap car for my job, I do allot of miles and was looking for anything cheap after my last car went to the scrapyard with electrical issues (it was a focus) my budget was only about £500 after lots of looking and test drives of some horrible cars I found my 2001 Yaris Sr 1.3 with 100k miles which I got for £560

If a car is cheap there is ALWAYS a reason, some it's rust, some it's dodgy clutches or engines, my wee yaris it was a hole in the exhaust you can put a finger in and the paint looks like it was cleaned with a brillo pad! 

I have had the car for 3 months and done just over 7k miles and I have fallen in love, so much fun to drive, so good on fuel and so so cheap, all I have done is change the oil! 

I would love to hear from anyone with tips on how to make thease engine last forever, if I keep going the way I am the car will do 30k miles this year and take a beating on rough country roads 

IMG_20200224_155247.jpg

IMG_20200224_155317.jpg

• Like 2

A good service on a regular basis would be beneficial. You say you changed the oil, what 7k miles ago? Was it just oil, or the engine filter as well? Then there is the air filter, then the fuel filter. Add to those change the plugs. Keep the tyres at correct pressures, make sure you keep and eye on depth of brake pads - change them before they go down too far.      
Regular planned maintenance is better then an unexpected failure.

and Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Matthew, I would assume that the Yaris you bought had a full recorded service history and it has a recently done its MOT. A car of the age and mileage will require constant checking and maintenance to keep it running in a perfect and safe condition. Hopefully you are capable of doing the maintenance yourself thereby saving a lot of money. The best of luck with your Yaris we look forward to hearing from you and on the performance of your Yaris 

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

A good service on a regular basis would be beneficial. You say you changed the oil, what 7k miles ago? Was it just oil, or the engine filter as well? Then there is the air filter, then the fuel filter. Add to those change the plugs. Keep the tyres at correct pressures, make sure you keep and eye on depth of brake pads - change them before they go down too far.      
Regular planned maintenance is better then an unexpected failure.

and Welcome to the forum.

Hi Catlover! 

When I got the car it had just had just had the oil and oil filter done, the oil was golden and the oil filter clean, I just changed it there, I will every 6-8k

Also the air filter is clean too and I always keep an eye on the tyre pressures, the pads are a bit low, I'll change them before they chew up the disks! 

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Welcome to the forum Matthew, I would assume that the Yaris you bought had a full recorded service history and it has a recently done its MOT. A car of the age and mileage will require constant checking and maintenance to keep it running in a perfect and safe condition. Hopefully you are capable of doing the maintenance yourself thereby saving a lot of money. The best of luck with your Yaris we look forward to hearing from you and on the performance of your Yaris 

Hi Bernard 

Yes it had a good mot, on the listing it said no service history but it came with the original owners manual and service books with stamps from Toyota up untill 2011, all with the original owner, so someone loved it! 

Yes I'm doing all the maintenance myself, thank you I will keep updating about how it does 

Then you should be ok. Toyota make reliable cars, and the Yaris is one of the best. Your paintwork might benefit from a a wash and and waxing finished off with a polish protective. My old friend used to say that if your car is not worth a regular oil and filter change then take it to the scrap yard 😂. Sound advice 👍

• Like 1

Great little car...I'm such a big fan of the Yaris..they just keep going.!!

My wife is on her fourth consecutive one.

Do the usual service/maintenance stuff and it will last for even more years.

15 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Then you should be ok. Toyota make reliable cars, and the Yaris is one of the best. Your paintwork might benefit from a a wash and and waxing finished off with a polish protective. My old friend used to say that if your car is not worth a regular oil and filter change then take it to the scrap yard 😂. Sound advice 👍

Yeah she needs a good detail, with the weather at the moment and country roads I clean it and it's dirty the next day, when the weather is a bit better I will put up some photos of before and after detailing, see how many scratches I can get out! 

Your so right, honestly oil and filter are by far the most important maintenance 

Still think the Mark 1 was the best design and fun to drive even if do have a Aygo now still have found memories of my first mark 1 Yaris, regular oil changers should help to keep her going and welcome to the T.O.C 👍

• Like 1

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 3:15 PM, MyFirstToyota said:

Yeah she needs a good detail, with the weather at the moment and country roads I clean it and it's dirty the next day, when the weather is a bit better I will put up some photos of before and after detailing, see how many scratches I can get out! 

Your so right, honestly oil and filter are by far the most important maintenance 

I know all about the country roads and the weather as I’m from the same part of the world as yourself Matthew, (the non-uk part), and it’s a waste of time and money trying to keep the car in pristine condition, and for an oldie like me a waste of precious energy 😆.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links