Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to repair when a front bumper clip has broken on a Yaris 2017?

Samotivad

Hello I'm new to this forum and recently bought a Yaris 2017,

Unfortunately someone reversed or hit slightly the front of the car while it was parked. It hasn't caused a huge amount of damage and the impact itself is a deep scratch in the plastic rather than a dent.
The front bumper was slightly detached from the top left side. I pushed and clicked it back into place so it holds somewhat for now. The fog light on the left side was also knocked backwards out of place, however I've pushed it back into place and it is functioning and seems to be staying there for now. The impact seems to have been just underneath the foglight - whatever hit it, hit the very bottom left of the bumper.

However there is some underlying damage. The small round plastic clip (I assume it's a clip) on the very top left side of the bumper (the bit that is underneath the hood) is snapped. I've attached an image of the location of the clip I'm talking about. The splash guard (I think that's what it's called) that stands between the front of the front wheel and back of the front bumper is also quite loose now. I'm also attaching an image of the flap I'm talking about with an arrow pointing to it. It's the thing made of a soft material if that helps.

Other than that the bumper seems to be fine. The impact was probably very minor but as I mentioned... there is still damage.

Does anybody know if this is fixable without replacing the entire bumper and have a rough idea of cost? I've never fixed a car before so I don't know if it's possible for someone with no experience to fix it. I'm a bit worried about it.

Thank you,
David

Yaris front bumper clip.jpg

spashguard.jpg

Take it apart, find the broken clip and use 2 part epoxy to glue it back. Put gauze over the epoxied part, and dab it in epoxy, for reinforcement.

You can buff most of the scratch out if you go at it slowly.

I would not bother putting a whole new bumper as it costs money + paint, only to have someone smash it again a week after being fitted.

Thanks a lot, I think I'm going to try to do as you suggest and glue it back together. None of the clips are missing as far as I can tell. What's happened is that the bit that goes around the round clip has split in two. I'll have to take a look at it when I next go to see the car but I think that glue is a good suggestion yes.

With the thing that goes between the front wheel and back of the front bumper I'm unsure though. I'm not even sure I know the correct name for it. I think it's there to prevent water or debis splashing into the front bumper and entering the light chambers / engine (I could be wrong though). That has come quite loose and I'm unsure where it has broken exactly. Do you know what this thing I'm talking about is called? Is it the thing called a splash guard?

I dont know how it's called in UK, but yeah, but i see then listed online like wheel well liner, inner fender guards, or wheel splash guards.

Those are usually connected by pretty plastic clips that break easily, just inspect it when repairing the fenders, it should be easy to repair also.

You can even buy the plastic clips online if needed, i got around 100 pcs of general use ones for like 2 GBP.

That's great thanks a lot for the information. I'm going to inspect the car properly the next time I'm out and see if I can get away with just glue and plastic clips. Thank you.

Glue can be very strong but if that fails try plastic welding. A cable tie can be used with a soldeing iron for added strength. 

Hey Everyone, I have an update on the status of the damage. There are actually 6 - 7 clips broken in all. Some of them are from the bumper and some from the splashguard and front wheel fenders. Rather than the clips themselves, it seems that the plastic attachment brackets are what have broken in all cases. My plan is to buy some metal washers and glue the washers to the broken attachments with apoxy glue. The idea is that the washers can make up for the small pieces of plastic that have broken off from the plastic attachments.

In your opinion is my repair plan safe?
There is no other damage apart from these fragile clip attachments that have split and broken. I'm still able to drive the car, though I wouldn't drive on a cobbled street right now.

Here are some photos of the actual damage:

Yaris_Damage_Bottom_Left_Bumper_Clip1.jpg

Yaris_Damage_Bottom_Right_Splashguard_Fender.jpg

Yaris_Damage_Splashguard_Front_Left.jpg

Yaris_Damage_Top_Left_Clip.jpg

Yaris_Damage_Top_Left_Clip_View2.jpg

Yaris_Damage_Top_Right_Clip.jpg

Can't see any problem to your low cost solution, as long as the bolts don't interfere with anything else it should be fine!. 👍

Those breaks are too clean, it was probably designed like that. 

If you epoxy metal washers, and next time something like this happens, if it happens, plastic will probably be more mangled as epoxy is pretty stiff and wont break as intended.

I would try to preserve the function. Looks like all the missing pieces are the same, maybe make some template and cut out pieces  of plastic from something.

Personally i would go for some not so thick plastic that should be able to keep it in place, and flexible enough to twist and release if needed. 

I would then epoxy it to the side only, but not on the top, maybe even leave a small gap there. Idea being that it should be rigid enough to keep it in place, but in case something like this happens again, it will twist and disconnect from the clips.

Nothing wrong with your solution, it will work, but i once did something similar on undertray, and after a year while backing up, it caught something and totally mangled the plastic and all connected parts.

That's a great point actually, I hadn't thought about the fact that they may have been designed to break like that.

I've been trying to find out what plastic the Yaris bumper is made out of. So far I've seen Polypropylene written a lot so I guess it's that.
Do you know if Polypropylene and Nylon are compatible enough for me to glue them together? I know some plastics don't play well together and can't find any tests online between the two. I find a lot of Nylon washers being sold but none of the right shape made of Polypropylene.

Thank you for the number plate bolt link, I'm going to contact the seller to ask what plastic it's made out of.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links