Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Rav4 2.2 D-4D - Anything I should know

Painty

I'm looking at buying a Toyota Rav4 2.2 D-4D Invincible 4WD 5dr 2013 Model.

It's done under 40k miles and looks great in the showroom. Hope to test drive it tomorrow

Are there any things I should look out for? Any particular niggles this model may have? 
Thanks

55 minutes ago, Painty said:

It's done under 40k miles and looks great in the showroom. Hope to test drive it tomorrow

Are there any things I should look out for? Any particular niggles this model may have? 
Thanks

Not sure on your age car if the 2.2D4D in the Avensis is the same but read this old post.

I bought a Lexus IS220D with the 2.2 diesel lump. My worst car ever. Head gasket went. 6 speed gearbox mismatched and massive turbo lag. Had the car 18 months and gasket went. Scrapped car and got £350. Only did 40mpg!  Ok had high miles when scrapped at187,000. Lexus stopped offering a diesel Lexis in around 2012 as they were replacing engines under warranty and it was a disaster.  Glad to see it go. Never diesel again. Bought an Auris hybrid.

James.

Lexus.jpg

1 hour ago, Painty said:

Thanks

There's not much wrong with a 2013 RAV4.4 2.2D. Mine's an automatic - the gear change is very smooth and it drives well.

Toyota did have significant issues with the 2.2 2AD diesel between 2006 and 2009 but these were largely resolved by 2010 so you shouldn't have worries in that regard. However, it is a modern diesel 'blessed' with various emission control devices - if you are doing higher mileages (e.g. a 100 mile trip down the motorway every week or so) then it will be fine; if you are doing low mileages and a lot of stop start pottering around town it will get sooted-up and you'll notice the regen cycles - and if they become noticeable the car needs to be doing more miles. Either way, the engine runs best on premium diesel - the brand doesn't really matter but the additives do.

If you plan on doing lower mileages a petrol (or hybrid) will be a better bet.

• Like 1

100 mile round trip will be every fortnight at least, and potentially more often if i can run my art events soon. 

I have a 2.2 Avensis from 2008.  It's mainly used in town, sometimes it blows out smoke but I just keep it in the same gear until it clears which, usually takes about 15 seconds max. Apart from that, I've got no issues at all with the car.  I only ever use supermarket fuel, there's nothing to be gained by paying for "premium" fuel.

I know there have been issues with this engine but none of them have manifested themselves in my car.

It pulls like a train and is smooth and very quiet.

The oil consumption/head gasket issues affected Rav4's built between July 2005 and December 2008 - see 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links