Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stand up or sit down

Richie B 80

Hi all, 

I've recently had the head gasket blow out due to carbon build-up near the gasket/head. It's a 141 2.0L d4d strata and has had all services on time and carried out by toyota garages. I had to fit a new engine as I was told hard luck and this was not a problem that would be anything to do with toyota solving it. I own two identical strata's both 2.0L (141 & 2012) and feel like it's pointless getting them serviced by toyota. Should I have been treated with a little more car care or is it just tough

A percentage of the AD engines did have head gasket/oil consumption issues in the early years, but these were fixed with engines built after February 2009. 

You're in Ireland so the new car warranty was the standard European length of 3 years/100,000km, whichever occurred first. Did you approach Toyota Ireland re a possible goodwill contribution when the issue was diagnosed?

Who fitted the new engine?

Moved to the Avensis club.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:20 AM, Richie B 80 said:

Hi all, 

I've recently had the head gasket blow out due to carbon build-up near the gasket/head. It's a 141 2.0L d4d strata and has had all services on time and carried out by toyota garages. I had to fit a new engine as I was told hard luck and this was not a problem that would be anything to do with toyota solving it. I own two identical strata's both 2.0L (141 & 2012) and feel like it's pointless getting them serviced by toyota. Should I have been treated with a little more car care or is it just tough

Eight year old car?  I doubt any manufacturer would cover it.

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A percentage of the AD engines did have head gasket/oil consumption issues in the early years, but these were fixed with engines built after February 2009. 

You're in Ireland so the new car warranty was the standard European length of 3 years/100,000km, whichever occurred first. Did you approach Toyota Ireland re a possible goodwill contribution when the issue was diagnosed?

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hi Frostyballs,

Thank you for your interest in my post. There was 160,000+ km on the 141 when this happened. I understand that it might be beyond warranty lines. When I spoke to the toyota dealer the price went up twice in the five minutes from "possibly" €1500 to €2,500 and would have reached higher I'm sure when the final payment was made. I've spent €20,000 on the car already and wasn't prepared to throw €3,000 more into it, it just isn't right. I know I would have gotten new parts warranty with toyota but trust me, the new parts wouldn't have been the next problem. I called toyota about it and asked if any cars were called back with any problems at all and they weren't. The faulty door hinges are another problem that had been changed before this under Toyota's garage fix. If they fixed the faulty door hinges then why didnt they do something about the manufacture fault of the engine? My 2012 door hinges are the same (doors jumping and squeaking on uneven ground). Sorry about the negative post it's just that's how I feel about the matter. 

As I said the head gasket/oil consumption issue was fixed after February 2009. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links