Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Rear Sill Rust Repair

garethpaul

I have seen some reports of sill rust on the net, and sadly my 2008 Aygo is also suffering:

Having never welded before, I recently bought a lidl special welder and have been practising with it in lockdown, with the help of the Mig Welding forum. Last weekend I decided to take the plunge and set about fixing the little bug.

I ground back the area on the sill to establish the extent of the rot, and thankfully it was very localised. Marked out the area ready for cutting out:

Rot cut out, and rust converter applied to the light surface rust inside the sill:

Matching patch cut out of 0.8mm Zintec steel, and bent to shape:

Patch fully seam welded right around using the "thin metal technique" https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/thin-metal.htm:

Welds ground down and zinc primer applied:

Filled, sanded and red primer applied:

Top-coat applied, ready for compounding and polishing once the paint has hardened up a bit. The paint I used was by Hycote, and in my eyes was a 100% perfect colour match:

I've got the other side to do as well in the next few weeks, and hope that it goes as well and turns out as good as this side has. Once that has been done, I have some Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 to go in both sills, to hopefully protect them for the forseeable.

• Like 3

Looks fine but did you spray some anti rust inside incase there is more further?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

yes, what I could get to was wirebrushed, and treated with rust converter - 3rd image.

Anything else is going to get hit with Dynax S50

Not what I asked inside the sill did you spray some anti rust stuff incase it had some surface rust inside

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links