Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2002 2.0 D4D Diesel Black Smoke From Exhaust While Accelarating

overland&hike

Hi there everyone.

I'm having some problems with black smoke coming from my exhaust. Already did a few things that could cause the issue, but I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction and tell me what else to check/fix. Any help appreciated!

The exact model of the car is 2002 Toyota Rav4 2.0 D4D diesel. I bought it two months ago. When I bought it, I double checked that there was no smoke coming from the exhaust, and there was no significant blowby when taking off the engine cap while the car is running. I've done a lot of stuff to the car, and at one point, I noticed that there was a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust when accelarating. Everything looks okay when starting up or when driving very slowly,but once you hit the gas, a huge cloud might just come out, depending on how much gas you're feeding. Noiw, there's also large amount of blowby. When you take the cap off while the engine is running and place it back on there, it jumps around like crazy. Didn't do that before.

Some of the things that I did before the smoke started appearing was change oil (5w-30) & oil filter, changed rusty and leaking gas tank and the filler pipe, and changed the diesel filter. In that order. I also did a lot of other things to the car, but that shouldn't cause anything to the way the car performs. (rebuilding suspension, lifting the car, welding rusty bits, changing all other oils, bearings, and a few other things.) I'm thinking that some rusty bits of the old gas tank might have gotten inside when I swapped the diesel filter, and could now be clogging something up? 

I've already fixed a few things to the car that might cause black smoke.

• I cleaned the EGR valve with carb cleaner. The valve didn't move freely before, and after cleaning it looks like it works perfectly. Still have black smoke though.
  • Cleaned the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). It looked a bit black, but cleaning didn't fix the issues.
  • Changed the air filter.
  • After changing to a new tank, filler pipe, and diesel filter, I added an addative to diesel that cleans carbon buildup.
  • Tried revving really high to burn any carbon buildup. Did 120km/h in third gear a few times. Still got black smoke.

What else could I do?

17 minutes ago, overland&hike said:

Hi there everyone.

I'm having some problems with black smoke coming from my exhaust. Already did a few things that could cause the issue, but I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction and tell me what else to check/fix. Any help appreciated!

The exact model of the car is 2002 Toyota Rav4 2.0 D4D diesel. I bought it two months ago. When I bought it, I double checked that there was no smoke coming from the exhaust, and there was no significant blowby when taking off the engine cap while the car is running. I've done a lot of stuff to the car, and at one point, I noticed that there was a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust when accelarating. Everything looks okay when starting up or when driving very slowly,but once you hit the gas, a huge cloud might just come out, depending on how much gas you're feeding. Noiw, there's also large amount of blowby. When you take the cap off while the engine is running and place it back on there, it jumps around like crazy. Didn't do that before.

Some of the things that I did before the smoke started appearing was change oil (5w-30) & oil filter, changed rusty and leaking gas tank and the filler pipe, and changed the diesel filter. In that order. I also did a lot of other things to the car, but that shouldn't cause anything to the way the car performs. (rebuilding suspension, lifting the car, welding rusty bits, changing all other oils, bearings, and a few other things.) I'm thinking that some rusty bits of the old gas tank might have gotten inside when I swapped the diesel filter, and could now be clogging something up? 

I've already fixed a few things to the car that might cause black smoke.

• I cleaned the EGR valve with carb cleaner. The valve didn't move freely before, and after cleaning it looks like it works perfectly. Still have black smoke though.
  • Cleaned the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). It looked a bit black, but cleaning didn't fix the issues.
  • Changed the air filter.

What else could I do?

I got told check dpf not blocked and take it for a burn high revs see if that  clears it sorry can't help anymore 

6 minutes ago, Stedalton1963 said:

I got told check dpf not blocked and take it for a burn high revs see if that  clears it sorry can't help anymore 

Thanks for your input. The new diesel filter wasn't OEM. I could try swapping it for a new, better quality one. Maybe it really is clogged up. I had a warning light that indicates that the diesel filter needs to be changed before I changed it, and when I swapped to a new one the warning light disappeared.

Already tried cleaning up the carbon buildup with high revs. Did 120km/h in third gear a few times. I think the revs got up to the red line at 5000 rpm, and I kept them there for a few secs. Still got black smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue seems to be fixed.

I poured some STP Diesel Stop Smoke (https://www.stp.eu/en/products/fuel-additives/diesel-stop-smoke) addative to a full tank of diesel, and within ~100km the smoking was gone. Also, the fuel consumption dropped from 7l/100km to 6l/100km.

Could be that my injectors were clogged up either from adding a fuel addative last time, or from changing the gas tank and the diesel filter. Anyway, I took it to a shop, where they took it for a spin with a plugged in tablet. After driving around for 15 minutes, the guy told me that everything looks fine. There weren't any fault codes, the compression in the injectors seemed to be fine, and the turbo was working properly.

Now there's only a slight amount of smoking happening when I rev the engine up to 4000-5000 rpm, but the mechanic told me that's normal. He told me there's no need to, but if I'd want to reduce the smoking even more, the injectors should be taken out, tested for compression, and serviced.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links