Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CAT Converter theft protection

solid5nake1

There's loads of Cat converter thefts going on in my area. I have an Auris 1.6 diesel 2015.

I have trawled through  the forums and it seems that the hybrids are the ones that are most at risk. I've also read that the new auris models don't have an exposed cat?

I have seen prices on cat covers on eBay they range from 20 to 250 quid for a sheet of metal that goes over the cat

My questions are

whether I should get a cat converter cover for my auris?

Has anyone had these fitted?

Does having a cover cause any noise whilst driving?

any help would be gold

Thanks 

I assume your car is the WW, BMW diesel engine. Your catalytic converter being diesel, is totally different and looks much harder to access, let alone remove easily. I would think that the lack of hybrid badges would at least reduce the risk, but also when they get under the car, will realise this and leave the car alone. You could still place a shield for piece of mind.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, solid5nake1 said:

There's loads of Cat converter thefts going on in my area. I have an Auris 1.6 diesel 2015.

I have trawled through  the forums and it seems that the hybrids are the ones that are most at risk. I've also read that the new auris models don't have an exposed cat?

I have seen prices on cat covers on ebay they range from 20 to 250 quid for a sheet of metal that goes over the cat

My questions are

whether I should get a cat converter cover for my auris?

Has anyone had these fitted?

Does having a cover cause any noise whilst driving?

any help would be gold

Thanks 

I've had a Catloc fitted recently after a spate of cat thefts hereabouts.  My local Toyota dealer fitted it for £250 inc vat.  It took less than 2 hours including waiting time.  This includes the cat being chemically etched which identifies the cat with my car and the International Security Register, also a couple of stickers which you put in the driver's and passenger door windows.  Regarding noise, I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever, although I might add that I haven't been up to motorway speeds since it's been fitted.  I suppose there could be an issue at 70 mph, but who knows?

Whether you should get one for your Auris is up to you, but my thoughts are as yours is a diesel, I wouldn't worry, it's the hybrid ones that are being targeted, they apparently have more of the precious metals in them. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Whats the difference between cats in hybrid and non-hybrid? Whi is the Hybrid targeted?

I just got a 1.6 petrol, for the time being, avoided hybrid partly due to this theft rate in London.

Quoting myself   " it's the hybrid ones that are being targeted, they apparently have more of the precious metals in them. "

Thanks Geezer, sorry my eyes are not peeled, must be getting old... 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses chaps, I feel much more enlightened!

I think I might look into the catloc system just for piece of mind. 

Thanks again :) 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links