Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel pump stuck in 2006 Diesel Rav4

SteveG0411

Hi all,

I recently got a 2006 Diesel Rav4, I've filled it up twice before successfully. When filling up today the fuel pump nozzle wouldn't come out, even with a bit of force. 

Cutting a lengthy period of trying to get assistance and failing, a helpful passer by came and helped. They said that the part where the nozzle goes in has a lock(?) which prevents the wrong pump from going in and that this has broken.

After a bit of jiggling he managed to get the nozzle out and confirmed that this needed fixing. 

I have no idea what this part is called, or whether this is something I could do myself?

Has anyone else had this issue, or could help with some advice?

Thanks in advance. 

Some vehicles have a built in "misfuel" device that prevents the wrong fuel being put into the tank. They can lock into place sometimes and cause a problem. I don't know if the RAV4 has such a device though. If one is fitted there is sometimes a plastic tool in the car somewhere that can be used to reset the device. It is also possible to buy aftermarket devices (Maybe a previous owner had one fitted).

Thanks Mikeyjd appreciate that. I had a look earlier and it was stuck half way between where it should be and completely out, so I wiggled it about a bit but couldn't get it back in. I have managed to take it out, which I thought would be the next best thing seeing as how the cap wouldn't screw in and I wouldn't be able to fill up with how it was. Do you think there'd be any problem with it not being in?

Could you take a photo of the actual device and post it? As long as the fuel cap closes properly, I would guess the only problem will be accidentally filling with petrol 😉 By the way, which diesel do you have. Normal D-4D, or D-CAT?

It's the D-4D. I should have added two pictures now... One from both sides of the blue restricted(?). 

It actually came out without breaking, so I think with the right knowhow it's go back in. But, I just don't want to break it and end up with plastic loose in there!

20200823_102358.jpg

20200823_102405.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links