Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Oil grade and type ?

roks

I've been going through the invoices of my recently bought Auris 1.6 Petrol 2013, I notice the last owner has been using a indi garage for service.

From 03/2017, he has been using 5w30 C3, is this correct? I thought petrol was A5 and the C3 was for diesel?

The first 3 service was a toyota dealer, I dont know the details of the service. I tried MyToyota but that needs a log book, I am still waiting for, I'll try calling the dealer and see if I can get some detail.

Your thoughts please.

Toyota's recommended oil is 0W-20 to either API SL, SM or SN spec. The owners manual will state that 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The owners manual will state that 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service.

Thanks Frostyball, I get that theh 0W20 is perferred but how about different grades A5 and C3, does that matter?

Also, just checked on OpiOil and EPC, both show 5w30 A5/B5 and 5w30 C3, from various brands, only one 0w30 from Shell. OpiOil even warns, 0w30 may not be suitable for my car.

I, personally, wouldn't rely on what Opie Oils, EPC or even Castrol recommend. They all indicate that 5W30 should be used in my 1.33l Petrol Yaris. Toyota recommend 0W20 or as FB states, 5W30 in the shorter term.

I use this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-QX-SynPlus-Fully-Synthetic-0W20-Multigrade-Car-Motor-Engine-Oil-5L-Litre/352436567950?hash=item520edb3f8e:g:-R0AAOSw3bBcfkNg

Which has the correct spec.. Genuine Toyota 0W20 can be found for not much more too.

I would follow what FB has written.

• Like 1

Ok, I called the Toyota dealer in Toubridge where the car was serviced for the first 3 years. They are adement that it should be 5w30 C2 and thats what they would have used but 0w30 can be used as long as it C2....agghh.

Then I called my local Jemca Edgware, they said its 0w30 but their "contaimer does not specify if its A5 or C2 or C3".

Everthing I search tells me C1-C5 is for desiel and high performance engines, am I getting this all wrong?

mrpj, Thanks for the link, that seems to match the required API SN grade Toyota mentions in the manual, no mentions of ACEA grades like A5 B5 C3 numbers etc.

See the following topic that Devon Aygo supplied the info for, and which Parts-King posted on - both work for Toyota dealers. This topic was current until June 2020 when Toyota updated the information for newer models.

Optimal Drive engines (which had improvements for efficiency, emissions, and economy) were fitted in the Auris from 2008 and 2009, and the 1.6 Valvematic engine, as in your car, is Optimal Drive (0W-20 oil). See https://blog.toyota.co.uk/what-is-toyota-optimal-drive

OK, thanks guys, will change to 0w30 on the next service since it was only done in March.

0W20.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

0W20

That's what I meant 😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, roks said:

Ok, I called the Toyota dealer in Toubridge where the car was serviced for the first 3 years. They are adement that it should be 5w30 C2 and thats what they would have used but 0w30 can be used as long as it C2....agghh.

Then I called my local Jemca Edgware, they said its 0w30 but their "contaimer does not specify if its A5 or C2 or C3".

Everthing I search tells me C1-C5 is for desiel and high performance engines, am I getting this all wrong?

mrpj, Thanks for the link, that seems to match the required API SN grade Toyota mentions in the manual, no mentions of ACEA grades like A5 B5 C3 numbers etc.

Roks, I like you am fussy with the oil grade for the engine. I currently use Petronas 7000 0w-20 and been using it for the last few years. I started using it when Euro Car Parts were selling it. I get it from eBayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Oil-Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W20-10-Litres-FREE-5L-SCREEN-WASH-TAB/322975936955?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

You can make your choice on brand of oil. 

You said that about dealers thinking cars should use 5w-30, I remember speaking to the parts person at Jemca Sidcup. Already knowing the answer, I asking him what is the 'preferred' all for my car/engine (Avensis T27, 2ZR-FAE 1.8 valvematic)? He said 5w30, as he said he owns an Avensis T25 1.8 1ZZ (different car and engine) uses it! I told him the owners manual states the preferred engine oil grade is 0w20, and he replied 'that grade is for hybrids'. I think I had the handbook with me. Most current Toyota engines use 0w20, so they should be stocked mainly with that, and 0w30 for the diesel engines. But I suspect that because 5w30 is cheap and easy to get, they just use that.     

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

But I suspect that because 5w30 is cheap and easy to get, they just use that.   

And the cost of 0W20 goes on the invoice (allegedly)!

• Haha 1

Back in 2009 when I had my first Auris and for which the recommended oil had recently become 0W-20 due to the introduction of the Optimal Drive engines, I had the same response - that 0W-20 was for hybrids.

With the introduction of new models from 2019, Toyota have started using thinner oils - 0W-16 for the Corolla, Rav4, C-HR, Prius & Aygo, and 0W-8 for the new Yaris.

• Thanks 1

Finally got my VC5 and verified with toyota.co.uk. I can now see the service history that says oil used 0w20.

I'll switch back to 0w20 and see what happens..maybe a little noiseier engine? will see

Hi everyone,

I just bought an 2008 AURIS TR 1.6 vvti - mmtc( I know) which needs a bit of mending

Will the 0w20 oil be suitable for this engine or is should stay with 5w30 as from my understanding this is not valvematic.

A bit of off topic:

Will these sparks plugs be OK to replace or should I look for better one: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173988105916

The car is a 3 door and the driver door hatch is broken and needs to be replaced - is there any compatibility with another model or can someone provide me with a code for it.

Thank you.

The 1.6 Valvematic wasn't introduced until early 2009, so for the preceding engine the recommended oil is 5W-30.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, amwjujo said:

Hi everyone,

I just bought an 2008 AURIS TR 1.6 vvti - mmtc( I know) which needs a bit of mending

Will the 0w20 oil be suitable for this engine or is should stay with 5w30 as from my understanding this is not valvematic.

A bit of off topic:

Will these sparks plugs be OK to replace or should I look for better one: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173988105916

The car is a 3 door and the driver door hatch is broken and needs to be replaced - is there any compatibility with another model or can someone provide me with a code for it.

Thank you.

Frostyballs answered the oil question which I was not sure about. If you have the owners manual, check there. I could add more, but the only thing I would say is 'use quality oil'.
For the spark plugs the Denso SC20HR11 are spot on, as fitted to my 1.8 Valvematic Avensis and many other models in the Toyota/Lexus range including most of the hybrids. I know you are saving money, but you have a long wait coming from China, and if something goes wrong, you have less comeback apart from Paypal! I rather pay a little more and get it from a local seller, but that's me. Anyway a good buy.   

I agree with Konrad. I would not buy those eBay sparklers. There are fake Denso plugs around, I'm sure other reputable brands too.

£15, delivered, for four "Denso" sparklets? As the all too common saying goes, if it looks too good to be true!

Exactly as mentioned above, those plug prices are about 65% off a decent UK price.  How could they be genuine???

• Like 1

These listings really p**s me off!! It has Union flags all over it, UK stock, in stock, yet look at the listing and they are coming from Guang Zhou, a complete con, those plugs are selling at over HALF the cost price, without doubt they will be a cheap Chinese copy. Please deal with a UK supplier and pay for the real thing.....rant over 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

Frostyballs answered the oil question which I was not sure about. If you have the owners manual, check there. I could add more, but the only thing I would say is 'use quality oil'.
For the spark plugs the Denso SC20HR11 are spot on, as fitted to my 1.8 Valvematic Avensis and many other models in the Toyota/Lexus range including most of the hybrids. I know you are saving money, but you have a long wait coming from China, and if something goes wrong, you have less comeback apart from Paypal! I rather pay a little more and get it from a local seller, but that's me. Anyway a good buy.   

The manual will certainly say 5w30, but I was reading this post where Frostyballs mentioned that the new recommendation from Toyota is now 0w20 - but I am not sure if this will apply to my car as well  - I already ordered the oil(0w20) and want to make sure I use the right one 😀.

Thank you everyone for the spark suggestions  - I will look for some original toyota ones.

Sorry to flood this oil topic with questions about my car ... but I see you guys give quick replies here 😁.

I have one more regarding the gearbox - when I am at low revs or driving from still, the gearbox gives me a kick - this is not happening if I am reving the car a bit more. The same thing happens if I am breaking very slow close to the stop limit ... the car starts to rattle for a bit  - i think is using engine break - the rattle stops if I firmly press the pedal break.

Should I worry about it or is it something normal.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, amwjujo said:

The manual will certainly say 5w30, but I was reading this post where Frostyballs mentioned that the new recommendation from Toyota is now 0w20

The recommendation for 0W-20 oil is for engines which were upgraded to Toyota Optimal Drive standards.

As regards the Auris 1.6, the Valvematic is Optimal Drive, whereas the previous 1.6 VVti isn't Optimal Drive. The 1.6 Valvematic wasn't introduced into the Auris until April 2009.

Therefore the oil recommendation in the owners manual is correct at 5W-30 for your engine.

Thank you  for coming back.

I assume is safe to send back the 0w20 that I bought and swap it for a 5w30 as it will harm my engine if I will use it.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, mrpj said:

I agree with Konrad. I would not buy those eBay sparklers. There are fake Denso plugs around, I'm sure other reputable brands too.

£15, delivered, for four "Denso" sparklets? As the all too common saying goes, if it looks too good to be true!

I agree with you regarding this ... but for some reason i cannot find the Denso spark plugs available... are there other alternatives? I keep seeing NGK ... are those good?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, amwjujo said:

I agree with you regarding this ... but for some reason i cannot find the Denso spark plugs available... are there other alternatives? I keep seeing NGK ... are those good?

Thank you.

You will struggle to find SC20HR11 as Toyota replaced them with SC16HR11 and Denso phased the old SC20HR11 out, see HERE

Search for Toyota part number 90919-01275 or Denso SC16HR11

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

You will struggle to find SC20HR11 as Toyota replaced them with SC16HR11 and Denso phased the old SC20HR11 out, see HERE

Search for Toyota part number 90919-01275 or Denso SC16HR11

Thanks for the update. I just did a little more digging and found the following - https://www.denso-am.eu/media/corporate-news/2017/june-2017-product-bulletin-supersessions-within-the-spark-plug-range/ (Same result as Lee found already). 
This means I will look for SC16HR11, if and when I need to change the spark plugs (currnet spark plugs changed less than a year ago). 
Need to update my owners manual.
I have only used Denso 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links