Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota OBD2 COM scanners

cargeeka999

Just asking if this is a good scanner for all Toyota cars? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363091224320

Yes, but you may need to have some computer skills! Just follow the instructions. The software is usually older version of the current official Techstream, but will cover all but the latest models made since.    

Further to Konrad's answer, something to be aware of:

I bought something very similar four years ago.  It worked fine on our 2013 Toyota, but did not communicate at all with our 2001 Corolla.  I sent it back for a refund with an explanatory note. 

I then ordered another one from another supplier.  That was exactly the same. I seem to remember that the OBD2 cable had its own simple diagnostic software for the cable itself and it failed one of its own validation tests when using the K-Line pins!

The OBD communication protocol changed on cars (not just Toyota) around about 2002 to 2004, but this date seems to vary quite a lot.  The earlier cars use 'K-Line' protocol and communicate down different physical pins on the OBD plug, the later cars use CAN-bus, which does the same job, but differently.

If you are looking to use this on the Yaris you have listed in your profile, then from my own experience four years ago it probably won't work, although the advert says it will work with K-Line, as it definitely did on the advert for mine too.  I kept this OBD2 cable because it works fine on our other Toyotas and it was cheap at the price for what it did do.

This cable that you are looking at may have a changed design by now, of course, and other buyers might have more up to date experience.

I use another, completely different, OBD2 reader on the 2001 Corolla instead, that always works to pull off codes, but nothing else.

Thanks so I'm looking for K-line not cam bus, I have just purchased a cam bus one for another much newer car (not toyota), I do one need another one.

I have no issue installing on a computer, I trained in computers.

Will this do everything on my Yaris? as I would like clear an airbag light, if not then what would for a reasonable price under £30?

The seller of that item has an Amazon satisfaction rating of 83%, isn't that poor, given that you might need to return it if it doesn't work?  The description says it is for use on Windows XP and Windows 7, nothing newer, which is a bit of a surprise.

I have not had an airbag code that needed to be cleared, but I know from posters on here that simple engine code readers will often not read an airbag ECU for codes.  I imagine you've already found this out... 

If that is currently the only code you wish to clear, then you could try disconnecting the 12V Battery overnight, or maybe you have already tried this?

Also, if you don't get many replies to this thread, it might be worth starting a new thread with a title like 'Clearing ABS Error on 2002 Yaris', or similar, or request that a moderator re-titles this thread?  Just a thought.... 

4 hours ago, Gerg said:

The seller of that item has an Amazon satisfaction rating of 83%, isn't that poor, given that you might need to return it if it doesn't work?  The description says it is for use on Windows XP and Windows 7, nothing newer, which is a bit of a surprise.

I have not had an airbag code that needed to be cleared, but I know from posters on here that simple engine code readers will often not read an airbag ECU for codes.  I imagine you've already found this out... 

If that is currently the only code you wish to clear, then you could try disconnecting the 12V battery overnight, or maybe you have already tried this?

Also, if you don't get many replies to this thread, it might be worth starting a new thread with a title like 'Clearing ABS Error on 2002 Yaris', or similar, or request that a moderator re-titles this thread?  Just a thought.... 

Thanks, I think I will do as you say and start a new thread about clearing the airbag code.
As regards a OBD device I asked the seller of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-VCI-J2534-OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-For-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-Techstream-V13-00-022/313048704254?hash=item48e32824fe:g:q08AAOSwX~hejWvN and they said it will be compatible with my car and will support TIS OEM diagnostic software2, support all the diagnostic communication protocols needed for Toyota (since 1996) and support Protocols:K-Line ISO 9141 / KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4 / SAE J1850 PWM / SAE J1850 VPW / CAN 2.0B ISO 11898 / CAN ISO 15765-4. 
If it will work with my car then its worth having, even if it wont do airbag codes, I will ask in another thread for that.

mini vci is a clone of the Toyota vci it does require some pc knowledge to setup the software, it can clear codes in most modules - please see your airbag thread

what can bus device do you currently have as most are backwards compatible

47 minutes ago, flash22 said:

mini vci is a clone of the Toyota vci it does require some pc knowledge to setup the software, it can clear codes in most modules - please see your airbag thread

what can bus device do you currently have as most are backwards compatible

I have a Carista which I have just purchased for another car, It only does basic functions for my Yaris though, which is why Im searching for one that would do more.

carista is just an overpriced app that has a lot of stuff removed, It's just an elm based reader

Apple or Android ?

Car scanner ELM OBD2 is free and available on iOS and Android

8 minutes ago, flash22 said:

carista is just an overpriced app that has a lot of stuff removed, Its just an elm based reader

Apple or Android ?

Android
Will the one from that last eBay listing the mini vci do more than the Carista for my Yaris?

On 9/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, lani100 said:

If you have a android phone just get a 4 quid bluetooth scanner with the free Torque app it's faster and easier

I have a Carista now, I will try the Torque app.

55 minutes ago, flash22 said:

As my post above you may have not seen my edit

Car scanner ELM OBD2

Thanks, I take it it works with the Carista device?

yes and much more detailed, the carista device, is just a standard ELM based device just with a fancy app (what they charge a fortune to unlock and a big mark up

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

yes and much more detailed, the carista device, is just a standard ELM based device just with a fancy app (what they charge a fortune to unlock and a big mark up

Thanks will the app you suggested do all the extras that Carista charges for and work with other brands and models cars then?

i couldn't tell you Carisa selling point is for turning on features in modern cars

elm based systems will do most things its mainly limited by the software/app used

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

i couldn't tell you Carisa selling point is for turning on features in modern cars

elm based systems will do most things its mainly limited by the software/app used

Thanks I have tried the app you suggested It works fine with my Yaris, but unfortunately didnt clear the airbag code I want cleared.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links