Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dedicated towbar wiring kit - which cable?

Gabor S.

Hi,

This is my first post here. A bit long...Today I've tried to install a dedicated towbar wiring kit (Part No. 19250517RC - TOYOTA) to my 2011 Avensis Saloon. I'm not an auto-electrician but I did feel confident enough to give it a go. I've 'read' the fitting instructions which I found straight forward and logical altough it consist only a series of images with no sentences! Foglight installation part: I need to open the insulation of the existing wiring harness (located in the boot behind the left side panel) and make cut on the blue wire (BL) then fit two crimp connectors supplied as part of the kit. Sounds easy. Extract from the instructions:

20200928_195825.thumb.jpg.b4e4467250420ae78d7851dbbf071565.jpg

Only problem I found that it assumes there is only one blue wire but in real there are 2! It also shows to use a multimeter or something similar, but does not specify what I shoud perform with it. I guess to find the right blue one? But how?

20200928_121428.thumb.jpg.60ee9ef43ee074a7c4137e4b04b09803.jpg

Same issue been found with the reverse lamp wire. I supposed to use a scotch lock type connection on the red wire (RD) but there are 3 red wires to choose from! No use of multimeter required at this time? (photo shows my actual harness where those connections should be made)

These are the only steps I could not perform due to either the manual is not being correct or I don't know enough about this subject yet. Perhaps both... 😉

I'm not really keen to take it somewhere to get it sorted because I've already done 99% of the installation as per the manual and I'd like to finish it myself. Battery negative is disconnected as per fitting instruction. Any idea what should I do with the multimeter tool?

Constructive comments, please. Thank you!

I installed a similar kit in my 2010 estate,i had to do something similar from what i recall. id have thought the cable for the lights would be the thicker gauge cable, look what size the cable is where it connects to the bulb and try to match it up?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links