Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

NG Yaris owners with built-in WiFi

CPN

Has anyone managed to get the WiFi working in their head unit yet? Mine indicates it is switched on but doesn't see any networks even when I am sat inside the car with my Pixel 3XL's hotspot switched on (which other phones see easily and strongly)? I am not even sure that it is actually working in the head unit!

(oh, and just to preempt certain questions - yes, the Wifi signal from my home broadband is very strong where the car is parked and all around the house actually; even at the bottom of my garden and this is because, being a retired Network Engineer, I have a ton of repeaters and a mesh setup in and all around the house so there really is no excuse why the car can't see it other than it isn't actually working!)

@Devon Aygo Any ideas Lee?

i may be thinking of another system but does it not use the phones 3 or 4G as a gateway and the stereo is acting as the hotspot for the car

No, that was how the previous "Touch(& 2)" systems worked by using your phone's bluetooth tethering. The head unit in my Launch Edition has both WiFi & bluetooth. Even the manual explains that the only way to connect to your Toyota account now is via WiFi. There's now no setting for the Bluetooth to use a tethered connection. 🙁

In essence its still the same system just on updated hardware (MM17), the onboard Wi-Fi will have its own DHCP want for a better word it is a basic router so it will need to get an IP/DNS connection from a provider

Does the cars ssid show if you look for it ? no hotspot turned on (on the phone)

I think you're misunderstanding something here Bob? The car's WiFi is a Transmitter/Receiver just as you would have in any of your devices around the home. It is NOT a Router device with its own SSID...

Screenshot 2020-10-10 173319.png

Screenshot 2020-10-10 173126.png

Screenshot 2020-10-10 173222.png

Hmm... They came out in back to front page order!

Edited by CPN
Keeps insisting on putting page 48 first!!

i have the manual here, in the wi-fi settings wifi power and access to network are both on and it shows nothing in available networks (tap to view) ?

The radio still supports BT PAN

have you manually tried to add the SSID

Yes, the radio's bluetooth still supports BT PAN but unfortunately, if you look at the connected phones BT settings on the head unit, the internet icon is no longer there...

What vehicle are you checking this on Bob? Are we looking at the same thing?

223541ade621875be58fed22e29ea5ae.jpg704532025e3010447d2288c35367e46c.jpg

Here's a couple of other shots...
10e8729f910389f4b746d417a57b8609.jpgaefb214171400ce2566ee8907edf8c24.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The Yaris without Factory navigation can only make wi-fi connections with Miracast device, it does not have wi-fi for traditional connections as the function is provided by the additional navigation module and required to link the navigation to Toyotas servers for map updates.

As UK cars do not have navigation there is no connection of the head unit to Toyotas servers, the UK cars still have a connection to Toyota but it is via the SOS Telematics unit via the mobile network this allows functions such as Find my car & Hybrid coaching on the MYT app however Send to car will not as it again requires the Navigation module.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Manual and memory, the Pan is only active if you tell the phone to use it i have played with plenty of these systems, the newest one i have is a late 2019 mm17 i have spent many hours port sniffing via pan, wifi and usb

available networks - page 46 right hand side, add wifi button

Thanks DA, universal manuals strike again

Edit. it may be worth having a look in the hidden service menu and the extra hidden menu what has more functions

21 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The Yaris without Factory navigation can only make wi-fi connections with Miracast device, it does not have wi-fi for traditional connections as the function is provided by the additional navigation module and required to link the navigation to Toyotas servers for map updates.

As UK cars do not have navigation there is no connection of the head unit to Toyotas servers, the UK cars still have a connection to Toyota but it is via the SOS Telematics unit via the mobile network this allows functions such as Find my car & Hybrid coaching on the MYT app however Send to car will not as it again requires the Navigation module.

Thanks for that complete clarification Lee which, sadly, is very disappointing.

• 10 months later...

I was stumped. Searched the internet. Found this Forum and the answer that was perfectly explained. Thank you. 

I thought the SIM card in the SOS module was dormant unless the SOS button is pressed or a collision is detected?

47 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I thought the SIM card in the SOS module was dormant unless the SOS button is pressed or a collision is detected?

Toyota use the connection to collect data for online services via MyT, the sim is active and connected so long as it has power.

Is there a way to disable that? I don't like the idea of them doing that, or being able to do that, when I haven't given them permission to...

39 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Is there a way to disable that? I don't like the idea of them doing that, or being able to do that, when I haven't given them permission to...

Not without disabling the ecall function as well, unless you register and link the car to a MyT account the data is not personally identifiable and if you have linked it you can turn on "privacy mode " to stop the data.

Surely the data is linked to the car in some way, which would make it 'personally identifiable' tho'?

There is no need to, Toyota have no interest about what you or your vehicle are up to.

The only time Toyota are going to be interested in your vehicle is if someone presses the SOS button OR airbags are deployed.

Doesn't matter, if they're collecting data on me I want to know and, under the law, have a right to. Given the sheer increase in data breaches we've seen in the last few years I seek minimize any data that I allow companies to have to do with me unless they actually really need it.

Toyota isn't collecting any data on you, they have no need or want to, Toyota don't care what you are up to or where you go.

The vehicle records data & sends it to a My T account IF you set one up ( you don't have to & no one is forcing you to )

If the SOS button is pressed or airbags are deployed then Toyota will know about it via the mandatory E Call system - all that does is notify the appropriate emergency / help response to assist you.

There is NO need to worry about your vehicle being smart & connected, it's not spying on you & neither is Toyota or the government.

If your really that paranoid about your vehicle being connected & smart find & disconnect the E sim module BUT that will disable the E Call system which could help save your life in the event of an accident! 

I've looked on the car's settings and there is no place to turn on or off the sending of the data, which implies the system is always on whether you have a MyT account or not, but only presents it to you if you link a MyT account to it.

I just want to know what data is being sent.

Based on the info ecall needs and what MyT can present the data would include: 

GPS locations for a trip

occupants detected

occupants wearing a seat belt

vehicle speed, brake force, g forces 

Warning lights

airbag status

door lock status on some models

climate control status in some models.

With the exception of the data required for the mandated ecall when crash is detected or SOS button pushed any data received as anonymous until the customer accepts t&c’s via the MyT app at this point it is linked to the account holder.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Devon, that's mega helpful!  :thumbsup:  I couldn't find much info on this so many props for filling that gap in my knowledge! :thumbup:

Do you know how much of that gets stored and for how long? Or is it immediately dumped if it isn't attached to an account?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links