Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to trace a Water Leak

Triple51

Hello All,

I am a new member who owns a Toyota Yaris TR. Up until the last couple of days I have been very happy with my car and enjoying the legendary reliability. However the car has started misting up very badly and I am at a loss as to how to trace the source of what I presume is a water leak so i am appealing to the members for any assistance they can provide.

Thanking you in advance.

Is the air filter behind the glove box all blocked up?

The Handbook might tell you how to check it David.

Have a look in boot where the spare wheel is kept, if its wet in there then chances are the leak is from either the rear light clusters (seals breached), the rubber grommet that houses the electrical wiring (top left of tailgate when opened), rear washer pipe blocked or disconnected, tailgate seal damaged or roof aerial mount. Sometimes (very rarely ) the leak is from the spot welds in the roof under the black plastic trim especially after accident damage.

Also check under the mats for signs of damp. 

Is the ventilation system set to recirculation, if so change to fresh air?

• Like 1

Check the cabin filter if you have manual AC make sure the car is set for outside air and not recirc, last but not least Clean the glass

Most Toyota models suffer from water leak through rear lights as mentioned, need to take them off, clean very carefully and change the seals or use some silicone with the old ones. Check and drain water from the spare wheel well., before goes into the rear foot well and soak the carpets. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links