Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have you ever pushed too hard & popped the fan control knob into the dash?

OhioGuy

My daily driver is a 2012 Yaris manual transmission hatchback.  My wife drives a 2013 Yaris automatic, and today was complaining to me that the fan control had become very hard to turn.  I had to go out and check it out, and noticed that it was indeed very, VERY hard to turn.  When I pulled up on it, I noticed that the knob seemed to be rather loose, but easier to turn.  When I pushed down, it seemed that the entire knob and control behind it wasn't solidly held to the dash.  In fact, there was nearly a half inch/centimeter of play on one side.  I kept fiddling with it, and the silver circular part fell off, and the knob & control inside fell loose, inside the dash.  Now we can't control the fan at all.

I wasn't able to find the exact replacement part by itself, but I WAS able to find the entire environmental control panel part of the dash for a 2013 Yaris, including knobs, controls, everything, for about 45 pounds shipped/ or about $60 US.

Trouble is, I haven't been able to find any instructions at all on how to pop open this lower part of the dash on the 2013 Yaris to replace this section - no youtube videos, nothing like that.  I would think that having the fan control knob wear out would not be that uncommon, so I'm surprised to not be finding any instructions on how to replace this.  It would have been fantastic if it were just held there with 4 screws, but alas, I'm guessing that there are a bunch of things that need to be popped out, in a certain order.... or you'll break things.

Anyone happen to have any experience with this sort of thing?  My son, who is 17, is going into the car repair program at a local alternative high school, where they learn some hands on.  It would be great if I could give him this as an additional repair project, but I'd really like to find a video or something showing how it is done.  Thanks for anyone who might be able to guide us to something online that would help!

fan (Large).JPG

The black trim is simply clipped in place, Pop it off with a trim tool or a taped up screwdriver

the 2 outer knobs are mechanical that use a cable

Edit. I was thinking of the climate controls, Manual Ac needs a little more work

Mk3 Manual AC removal.pdf

Wow, I really appreciate the pdf file, but I'm amazed at how many clips have to come out up around the radio and the entire dash, just to remove this small part down at the bottom!  Any idea where we can get the trim tool that works best for this sort of thing?

Why in the world didn't they just use 6 screws or something down there, so it could be replaced quickly and independently of all the rest of it, clips and everything?

Does anyone happen to know of a video of anyone doing this replacement?  Looking at the photos on the pdf is good, but watching someone else do the steps successfully before trying it yourself is better  - I'd really like to be able to show a video to my son before he tries it.....

The manual A/c trim clips under the dash pad, the climate doesn't

Video ? Its about the same as removing the radio

21 hours ago, OhioGuy said:

Why in the world didn't they just use 6 screws or something down there, so it could be replaced quickly and independently of all the rest of it, clips and everything?

Very few screws etc. used now to fix trim (like the good old days!). Presumably all designed for quicker assembly on the production line. i.e. just position and push rather than position and take 5 minutes to secure some screws.

This procedure also makes it difficult for any subsequent trim/part removal with the added risk of broken clips and plastic, when you have actually located where the clips are and of which type.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links