Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid convert from VAG car, hope i've not made a mistake!

Mikw

Hello, first post here, be gentle. I've had Volkswagens and Skodas for many years now, have been very pleased with them, having almost no problems at all.

However, i have placed a deposit for a Toyota Yaris Hybrid (new shape) after becoming rather smitten with the car by reading reviews and watching YouTube vids, including the Matt Watson "Carowow" video where his test vehicle broke down due to depletion of the 12v Battery.

I just remembered that Toyota are famous for their reliability so dismissed it as a "one off".  Since then i've seen many people on internet forums having issues with various Toyota Hybrids when it comes to flat batterys.

Makes me rather worry about my purchase, especially as i've had great reliabilty with VAG group cars over the years.

Anybody else had problem with Toyota Hybrid 12v batteries running flat?

In hybrids the 12v Battery powers the cars systems rather than being responsible for providing power to start the car. If the car is unused left for periods or is only used for frequent short journeys, which don't charge the Battery sufficiently, the Battery can lose charge. 

Also in hybrids the battery is relatively small, and doing actions like leaving the multimedia unit on for periods with the engine off, not puttinhte key into sleep mode and leaving in range of the car, etc, can also drain the 12v. This isn't confined to just hybrids - our petrol Hyundai displays warning messages after a few minutes if the engine is off and the multimedia unit is being used.

For example in April, during the national lockdown, Toyota issued guidance on battery maintenance which covered mainly hybrids, but also applied to petrols and diesels: see - 

Some members have invested in solar chargers as a preventitive measure, which can be used to trickle charge the 12v if the vehicle is left unused.

• Like 3

The old adage “if you don’t use it, you loose lt” comes true with small 12v batteries, and toyota hybrid batteries are small because they not required to turn starter motors, basically they just need to feed a computer to bring to life the main hybrid Battery and charge the braking system. That’s it in simplistic terms. But like has been said above, you need to keep the 12v Battery in good order. Modern day cars are full of all sorts of electronic gadgets which we don’t particularly need but what we want, they all drain a Battery. If you use the car infrequently, in cold weather for example (lock down is another example), the 12v battery can easily be run down, and if you don’t do enough driving to put energy back in then you may well feel the consequences. So if for example, you go to the local shops once or twice a week, make sure you use the car for 30 minutes or so, perhaps more if you have the demister fan on (or other drain item).   Many owners buy a small solar panel to trickle charge, or a battery pack similar used to charge mobile phones. These maybe a little larger then a mobile phone charge pack, but easily provide enough energy to kick up the hybrid battery. They even come with crocodile clips for each terminal. £40-£60 from eBay/Amazon etc. We have 2 hybrids, a Prius and Auris, and driven a Yaris hybrid on loan when ours in for service. Wonderful relaxing experience. Enjoy yours.

• Like 4

My last two cars were Yetis, funnily enough.

When I considered a replacement for the last, initially, I looked at a run out model (Yeti discontinued, Kodiaq too big now) BUT if you ‘look on the internet....’ there appear to be significant problems with DSG gearboxes !!  Yet from my experience, I loved the DSG gearbox so, initially was concerned moving to an ecvt !  The internet is a strange place !

Decided to downsize, fancied getting into ‘hybrid’ technology so looked at Yaris.

I’m isolating to a large extent but do go out, many journeys are short but I give Battery state very little thought, to be honest.

Depending on your circumstances, why not take a run for 20 mins every few weeks, a good excuse to get out of the house.

I also do the occasional ‘click and collect’ which gives it a charge.

I can honestly say that I’ve never regretted going to a hybrid Yaris, in fact, I may well bring forward its replacement to next year and upgrade to the new model.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the club. Coming from a VAG cars towards Japanese it’s never a mistake, especially Toyota hybrids are the most sensible choice of buying a brand new car anywhere around the globe at present times. I can honestly say that you have been happy with you vag cars only because you had small examples which are the only one to consider from these companies, all others are nothing but trouble. Hybrid cars has known problems with drained 12v batteries only because been neglected by their owners or not been used enough and not extra care been taken. If you use your new car once or twice a week at least for 30 min + there is nothing to worry about. For the reviews online especially like carwow these are not 100% true but more like car shows to entertain first and then educate eventually but you still need to be a car guru to pick the things they are obvious. , I also watch them for fun. The latest Yaris and Corolla are the best cars in their class by far , before was because of the hybrid drive train and now is because of everything including look, feel, drive ability, performance and reliability. Toyota knows that and prices went up, however they still worth any penny over anything else on the market. You have done the right choice. 👍🚗

• Like 4

I’ve just done 5 years with a Golf R (mk7). 5 years of 300bhp,  4WD, launch control & oodles of fun. Straight into a 2010 Auris hybrid, and shortly after a new Corolla 2.0 hybrid. 

My wife has had a Yaris for 3 years, and my parents have owned toyotas for years. They are very different cars to VAG, but the underpinning mechanicals are far superior. VAG you find sensors failing, turbo problems, electrical issues, thermostats leaking, etc, especially as they get to 5yrs+. You won’t find any of that with Toyota, just hassle free motoring! 

regarding the 12v Battery, you just have to leave it in ‘ready’ rather than just igniton if you a messing with the infotainment system. Otherwise it’s a non-issue. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies, and the warm welcome! Very much appreciated!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, i took a test drive in a car with the "Design" trim, very impressed with the comfort, and the hybird/transmission combination and compliant suspension lead to a very relaxing experience.

I was sold there and then.  With our city in lockdown/Tier 3 on a conitinual basis it's quite hard to go for a drive, but looking forward to getting the car, and feel a bit better about the 12v Battery after the replies on here.

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Hi and belated welcome. We used to drive VAG cars too before we moved over to Toyota. We've now had many of the different hybrid models from Auris, Prius to Lexus CT, RX and NX. The only one that had a problem with the 12v Battery was the RX. It could suddenly die if you just left a door open a few minutes. It was a software issue if I remember correct. Otherwise, we've never had any problems with the hybrid systems. Some of them we did close to 200k in. No problems. For sure, Toyotas are not immune to problems, but the fault frequency is lower. Never had major faults like the broken gearboxes, heating and ventilation etc we had with VW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I use to work in a fleet company with over 5000 cars mostly Ford Galaxy, Toyota Prius, Prius plus and Mercedes E and S class, Viano etc. Every time when visiting the garage I was watching something interesting., there was a big white board with parts arriving on special orders for many of their fleet. Most of them were for the Galaxy, Mercedes but non for Toyota. I personally done high miles on their hybrids with only regular service where other makes and models required a various parts replacement: alternators, starters, injectors, high pressure fuel pumps, shocks, sensors, locks, handles, wiper motors etc, the white board was always filled up with stock coming and the garage full of cars awaiting parts replacement. Now we know why Prius is number one choice for any taxi firm around the globe.
Now for the vag: these cars has very good suspension and probably the best car bodies however they does not have a good reliable drive train, last good ones where discontinued in 2005 1.8t petrol or 1.9tdi pd engine. Since then nothing interesting that you can buy and enjoy without problems. The other area the VAG suffer is the electronics, many of which are made by Bosch and Hella around the world which proof to be less reliable than Japanese made Mitsubishi and Denso etc. From all cars including all Japanese Toyota so far seems to be the best one. , highest quality product. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling better by the day about my purchase! Thanks!

Supposed to be picking it up on Wednesday, but a little bit worried my city will slip into Tier 4 of Covid restrictions on that day, will be gutted if it does, as the car will be sitting there for weeks in the cold at the dealers probably.

So keeping an eye on the news, all being well, will be in my new pride and joy on Wednesday afternoon

1 hour ago, Mikw said:

Supposed to be picking it up on Wednesday, but a little bit worried my city will slip into Tier 4 of Covid restrictions on that day, will be gutted if it does, as the car will be sitting there for weeks in the cold at the dealers probably.

So keeping an eye on the news, all being well, will be in my new pride and joy on Wednesday afternoon

I’ve had a few different new Toyota’s and my 2019 Yaris Hybrid is my first automatic. All the other Toyota’s had minor niggly things go wrong, but nothing serious and were immediately rectified by Toyota. But this one is a gem, easily the best car I’ve ever had in my fifty five years of ownership of all different makes and models. Good luck on Wednesday you won’t drive a better car, enjoy the Toyota experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mikw said:

Oh I feel for you. After all the research and decision making. Keeping our fingers crossed you manage to get the car on time!🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update : Managed to get the car today! Really nice, drives lovely. Had some trouble setting up Android Auto, but managed to get it working in the end.

Didn't pick it up until after dark and it's been raining here all day, so it's already dirty.......

Wipers, lights, a/c all on since i got it. Should be drier tomorrow, so will have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Very pleased so far.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

Update : Managed to get the car today! Really nice, drives lovely. Had some trouble setting up Android Auto, but managed to get it working in the end.

Didn't pick it up until after dark and it's been raining here all day, so it's already dirty.......

Wipers, lights, a/c all on since i got it. Should be drier tomorrow, so will have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Very pleased so far.

Well done ! Just on time for Christmas 🚗👍🎄

Enjoy your new car and you can post some pictures here if you like. 
Happy holidays 👍

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 8:46 AM, TonyHSD said:

Well done ! Just on time for Christmas 🚗👍🎄

Enjoy your new car and you can post some pictures here if you like. 
Happy holidays 👍

Thank you! The car is brilliant so far, especially love the adaptive cruise control!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links