Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limiter

bmurphy4

On 2/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, Velvet--Glove said:

No, you can't save your set speed. There's probably a good reason for that as Timmon says.

For most of my local urban journeys I usually set a couple of things before driving off from home. One is the Auto brake hold and the other is the speed limiter as  my local area is infested with speed cameras that I would rather not have to argue with. I set the speed limiter manually rather than while under way though as it's less distracting. Both are a slight nuisance but only take a few seconds and are now a routine part of my pre-flight checks. You get used to it, just like buckling up. 😏

I have the same model 2020. What am doing wrong? I press the steering wheel symbol and it duly comes up on screen but though I then press the + symbol to set the speed desired NOTHING HAPPENS - grrrrrrr! I'm paranoid about soiling my ckean licence. Can you put me straight please?

Try pressing the - symbol, It's been a couple of months since I last used so I could be wrong but on my i30 I have to press the minus simbol to set it.

Mine wont set if I press the negative simbol I first have to turn it on its the button to the left with a clock face on it one press only two presses turns off some features of auto speed control and press again turns system off.

I use the hold button fairly often, I agree its not the smoothest when you press the accelerator but it does a good job when in traffic or at temporally road works. Only once has it displayed a warning after a long stop to alert me to either putt my foot on the brake or put the car in park, it never let go. The break lights also stay on whilst in hold and that could be a nuisance to the car behind in the dark but who uses the hand break 🤣

One thing that has always bothered me and its the same with any Automatic car I have had, the reverse is between park and drive, if you put it in park do the reverse lights activate causing a panic behind me? I cant say I have ever noticed it with cars Infront of me so I suspect not. 

48 minutes ago, Chuffmonkey said:

I use the hold button fairly often, I agree its not the smoothest when you press the accelerator but it does a good job when in traffic or at temporally road works. Only once has it displayed a warning after a long stop to alert me to either putt my foot on the brake or put the car in park, it never let go. The break lights also stay on whilst in hold and that could be a nuisance to the car behind in the dark but who uses the hand break 🤣

One thing that has always bothered me and its the same with any Automatic car I have had, the reverse is between park and drive, if you put it in park do the reverse lights activate causing a panic behind me? I cant say I have ever noticed it with cars Infront of me so I suspect not. 

Brake Hold: That's interesting - My Yaris will self-activate the EPB and disengage the brake hold if I ignore the Brake Hold warning, aking the whole car lurch as it strains against the EPB.

Reverse lights: Yes they do, briefly, although if you do it quickly enough they don't get a chance to. It's one of the reasons I don't use P in traffic unless I'm going to be stopped a really long time (e.g. motorway closed, level crossings etc.)

On 2/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, Velvet--Glove said:

Sure. The brake hold button is on the console to your left, next to the Parking brake button. When set you get a round green "Hold" indicator light on the driving display. Brake hold engages automatically when you come to a full stop, at traffic lights for instance - the brake comes on so you can take your foot off the brake and not move forward.  

A slight word of caution. It doesn't remain set for more than a few minutes, though. I've been sat at a railway crossing for longer than usual sometimes (5+ mins), on a very slight incline, had the brake hold turn off without warning and found myself rolling backwards! So - if I think I will be waiting a while I will set the more secure parking brake instead.

Brake hold is a form of hand brake I suppose, but automatic and not to be used for a long period or on a steep incline. Despite these caveats I do still find it very useful when driving in town.

If the car is held by using the “hold” button it only holds for a couple of minutes then it bleeps a warning to apply the park brake or foot brake, I can’t remember which. I don’t think the brake lights are on when the brake hold is used.

• Like 1

The brake hold is an evolution of hill start assist - It's effectively a virtual foot that holds the brake pedal for you, with all the same effects of holding the foot brake: All 4 wheels are hydraulically braked and the brake lights are lit.

The brake hold can hold for longer thanks to the brake-by-wire system, but it's still not designed to be held for long periods, because it doesn't fail-safe, wheres the EPB/handbrake does.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links