Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Corolla - servicing your own car (what a nightmare!)

superclarkey

5 minutes ago, Dave47 said:

It would be interesting to know the percentage that use their local garage for servicing rather than the toyota dealership.

That's the point, the local garage generally 30% cheaper.  Bad news. With June 2021, all annual maintenance schedule/inspection increases 50-100%.  Typically it was €200 for oilchange+filter+other checks.   Now is €300-€440 in some dealership at least in GErmany for the exact same car I owned in the past 5 years. 

34 minutes ago, AisinW said:

That's the point, the local garage generally 30% cheaper.  Bad news. With June 2021, all annual maintenance schedule/inspection increases 50-100%.  Typically it was €200 for oilchange+filter+other checks.   Now is €300-€440 in some dealership at least in GErmany for the exact same car I owned in the past 5 years. 

My previous vehicle, VW golf while under warranty, was serviced by VW. Different to toyota it had in the service book a checklist which when filled in showed what work had been done. I too paid £200 for an oil and filter change and a big thank you from them. Oil and filter I reckon would be about 35 to 40 quid.

• Like 1

The problem in Germany now, Toyota dealers take opportunistic profit pumping by jacking up the price when people thing they want warranty for 100% in some dealership that cost €200 few months ago. Mod edit (please don't bypass the profanity filter) identical service/inspection (oil change+filters+hybrid system check). 

3 hours ago, Dave47 said:

My previous vehicle, VW golf while under warranty, was serviced by VW. Different to toyota it had in the service book a checklist which when filled in showed what work had been done. 

Prior to COVID my dealer had a separate form that was checked off/marked up with what had been done & I then received this along with an invoice at the end. With COVID no paperwork changes hands anymore & whilst I now get my invoice emailed to me I don't get the checklist to go with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

Prior to COVID my dealer had a separate form that was checked off/marked up with what had been done & I then received this along with an invoice at the end. With COVID no paperwork changes hands anymore & whilst I now get my invoice emailed to me I don't get the checklist to go with it.

You can see your service history online in Toyota website

57 minutes ago, AisinW said:

You can see your service history online in Toyota website

service history, yes, but it does not give the same detail as the checksheet (I know this from many years of use, it replicates the invoice rather than the checksheet).

Not to mention that it takes weeks to appear e.g. my car was serviced 2 weeks ago - still not showing online.

• Like 1

I purchased my toyota on the first of July, it was registered new July 2020. It was a toyota owned car and according to the stamp in the service book, it was serviced by the dealership in October at 6000 miles. When I checked this online it only showed a hybrid health check. This got me worried as it didn't appear to have had an oil change and that my warranty could have been in jeopardy.  I approached toyota uk and asked them to look into this. Within a few days they assured me that the service had been carried out in October as well as the health check but they recorded it as just a hybrid health check.
They informed me that to get this information they contacted the dealership and requested to see their record of the service.
As I said earlier, the VW service checklist system in this case could have saved me a lot of hassle.

1 hour ago, Dave47 said:

As I said earlier, the VW service checklist system in this case could have saved me a lot of hassle.

Tbh I suspect that it is moot as everything is going online ...

I doubt that the checklist in the VW book is/was front & back A4 sized as the Toyota checklist is/was?

My 2017 Passat had an online service record which could only be seen by the dealership that carried it out. How useful was that?

4 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

service history, yes, but it does not give the same detail as the checksheet (I know this from many years of use, it replicates the invoice rather than the checksheet).

Not to mention that it takes weeks to appear e.g. my car was serviced 2 weeks ago - still not showing online.

For me, it always shown right away.  In USA, i only need VIN number all details is shown including replacing catalytic converter, HV Battery, etc.   In Germany, I need to give the registration number and it only show basic maintenance small or big. No detail repair. But my car indeed  has 0 repair. Only maintenance 

3 hours ago, Dave47 said:

I purchased my toyota on the first of July, it was registered new July 2020. It was a toyota owned car and according to the stamp in the service book, it was serviced by the dealership in October at 6000 miles. When I checked this online it only showed a hybrid health check. This got me worried as it didn't appear to have had an oil change and that my warranty could have been in jeopardy.  I approached toyota uk and asked them to look into this. Within a few days they assured me that the service had been carried out in October as well as the health check but they recorded it as just a hybrid health check.
They informed me that to get this information they contacted the dealership and requested to see their record of the service.

Hybrid system check is not needed until 5 years/100k miles. You need hybrid system check start from that point to make your warranty extendeded to 15 years.  But if you miss one or 2 years, you can still eligible to get 15 y warranty by doing hybrid system check.

For the first 3 years you can DIY oil change , etc. And warranty still valid. But after 3rd year in car sold after June 2021, you have to maintain it in dealership. But you can just ignore it and bring it to dealership for 1x maintenance to make it valid again befoe 10y.   

Older toyota has 5y warranty that you can DIY maintenance. So your 2020 corolla is fully covered no matter who do the maintenance for 5 years. If it is by dealership, it will be shown as inspection (oil change,, filters, brake fluid, etc.).  

34 minutes ago, AisinW said:

But after 3rd year in car sold after June 2021, you have to maintain it in dealership. But you can just ignore it and bring it to dealership for 1x maintenance to make it valid again befoe 10y.   

Extract from Toyota.mag:

"Any existing defects present at the time of service are excluded from the warranty."

For example, if a vehicle hasn't been previously serviced by the Toyota dealer network since the new car warranty expired, and is then presented to Toyota dealer for service and the Relax warranty, you may face the possibility that existing defects aren't covered by the warranty.

• Like 1

Offcourse. But 10 years 100k miles is just brake in  Toyota, nothing breaks. Beside that  most commond items like brake disc and pads are not covered. 

On my Auris 2015 hybrid 70k miles, The only thing that worn is usually sway bar links and bushings. Especially the rubber on the end of rear sway bar links. It is 30 minutes  job just to replace the rubber ends. 

So bring your car, let Toyota inspect it, certified it, and you are done. No need to worry much. If they did not find any defect, all are covered anyway. 

I only concern on resale value for warranty but I never maintained mine in dealership. I did it in my own garage since it is new. It consume 0 oil in 10k miles. I came to dealershop for hybrid system check alone after it is 5 years old. So I still have HV warranty for the next 10 y until 15 years 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links