Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0w8 oil for Yaris Mk 4

hairyarris

On 6/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, hairyarris said:

I anticipate an oil change in the next fortnight. The manual recommends 0W8 and that is what I intend to use. What are other MK4 owners using? The only brand in the market appears to be Motul (as advertised here) - no Mobil or Castrol. Anyone know anything about this brand? Will call Toyota to ask where we can find their own brand 0W8 but wondered what alternatives there are.

Thanks in advance.

Motul are a well respected brand & have been around a very long time - as long as the oil meets the Toyota specification it will be perfectly fine. 

I've got some 0w-8 top up oil from the dealers, but i can't work out how much oil is in the car anway.

If i try and hot dip it reads empty after 5 mins with the engine is off, but then it's pretty much full after about 10 mins. It's kept in the garage, a very small one, and i can't access the bonnet. So i'm just going to drive it and hope for the best

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

I've got some 0w-8 top up oil from the dealers, but i can't work out how much oil is in the car anway.

If i try and hot dip it reads empty after 5 mins with the engine is off, but then it's pretty much full after about 10 mins. It's kept in the garage, a very small one, and i can't access the bonnet. So i'm just going to drive it and hope for the best

Toyota dipsticks are infamous for been difficult to read oil level just after engine was running.,or if you wipe cleaned it and dip in and out, shows oil marks all over,  best to check oil level is if you can park the car on level ground and check next day just pull out and read , do not wipe the oil first.😉👌I don’t think any owner of a new Toyota should worry about oil consumption and top up but more been more worried about excessive oil level after the first service as it seems dealers tend to overfill with oil. 

• Like 2

Volume of the oil in the car is in your owner manual.   Besides that, you cannot really measure it when the car just run. you need to wait about 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to the sump. It is not that easy with new oil because it is very clear on the dipstick. Never overfilled too much above the max on the dipstick.  It can splashback to the intake, create foaming and starve the oil pump=dead engine. it is the best when it is right at the middle marks. However, if you already overfilled it a little bit, less than 1L, just let it be.   If you replace the filter, Just pour the amount of oil the manual said, you should be OK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota dipsticks are infamous for been difficult to read oil level just after engine was running

And even after allowing to cool and drain Tony, say 10 minutes. Differing levels depending on which side of the dipstick you look at!

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota dipsticks are infamous for been difficult to read oil level just after engine was running.,or if you wipe cleaned it and dip in and out, shows oil marks all over,  best to check oil level is if you can park the car on level ground and check next day just pull out and read , do not wipe the oil first.😉👌I don’t think any owner of a new Toyota should worry about oil consumption and top up but more been more worried about excessive oil level after the first service as it seems dealers tend to overfill with oil. 

You're not wrong! Compared to my old diesels, where the oil would be black with carbon a week after changing the oil, this hybrid is so gentle on the oil it's practically invisible against the stick! The fact that it's 0w8 and so thin also makes it challenging to figure out where the level is; I do wish they'd copy e.g. Ford and have a cross-hatched section that has a lip at the high and low marks instead of just two punched dots!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Bought one bottle of this today 0w8 toyota. Offered 30, seller wanted 32.50, so paid it. There is currently a 10% cashback via top cashback on motoring. So this takes it <30. Tried to buy all 3 for 85, seller didn't accept. Another seller's price is 50. 

Will need this oil in the future with the MK4. 

• Like 3

But if you are not changing oil by yourself why do you need to buy it?
For a  Brand new car just let Toyota dealer service it in the first 3 years to keep manufacturer warranty, no need to top up oil at least until reach 100K + miles , then if you drive average or less stay within the dealer for a yearly service and oil change to keep relax warranty or service yourself, the oil will be widely available at lower prices. If no 0w8 then 0w16 is ok for these cars. Ok, one litre bottle for emergency use to keep in the boot it’s fine though. 👍

• Like 3

My MK3 doesn't require top up since I had it with interval oil changes so I know newer MK4 won't need to top up. Intend to put a litre of it in the boot incase. After the 3 years warranty, will pay labour for a mechanic to change it. I don't think it will be £30 for 5 litres in a few years time. 

• Like 2

Yeah that's my thinking, keep a small bottle just in case, but the Mk4 has been the best so far - As far as I can tell zero oil use, which is a breath of fresh air (figuratively, and literally) compared to the Mk2, which was burning something like a litre a month IIRC!! :eek: 

(I'm so glad Toyota stopped using those stupid low friction piston rings...)

I couldn't get any 0w8 at the time, so my 'emergency' bottle is the same 0w20 I used in the Mk2, but I think that'll be fine given how cold the Mk4 normally runs!

• Like 2

I’m more concerned about the oil going up than down.  To get a good reading, use wire wool to take the glaze off the dipstick.  

• Like 3

Generally we do not need to worry about the oil too much in newer Toyota. They rarely consume any oil. Only some 2.5L with a lot of city driving and cold starts can eventually consume oil and scored cylinder wall (new short block needed).  10k miles/1 year normal not too much short trips, and 5k miles/6 monhts for Mother and busy taxi, uber driver. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links