Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2009 MMT issues

Yaris786

Hi Forum team,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light or a solution to my issue. My Yaris MMT randomly would shift to N on its own with the N light flashing. I would switch off and turn the car back on and this would resolve it for a short while before it happened again. Read the codes and I got a P0808 and P0900. I read that the clutch actuator could be the issue. So I took that out and sent it to ECU repairs who returned the actuator saying there is nothing wrong with it. I put it back on the car and went through all the initialising process and now the car doesn’t go in any gear and the throttle pedal doesn’t respond. Sometimes the car switches on and turns off because I can’t give it any throttle. 

Any help and guidance would be appreciated 

thanks 

I am sorry I can’t help you Kam. Best advice I can give is… when you get this sorted, sell the car and move on. The MMT appears to be nothing but trouble, nice idea, but not working well in every day life.

• Thanks 1

Moved to the Yaris club.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

I am sorry I can’t help you Kam. Best advice I can give is… when you get this sorted, sell the car and move on. The MMT appears to be nothing but trouble, nice idea, but not working well in every day life.

I was surprised to read this.  I've seen the odd criticism or problem reports with this system, but no more than with other types of auto (or auto-ish) cars, any of which can be troublesome and expensive to cure if they go wrong.  Indeed, in my teens I bought a 6 year old 1.3 litre BMC car with a 4-speeed auto box, and the previous owner had to have a new box fitted at half the original cost of the car when new!  And that was a basic hydraulic box with none of the clever torque-converter locking or computer control of modern boxes.  [It was also damn thirsty averaging about 23 mpg - lucky 4 star was 'only' about 70 a gallon in those days!]

My former Partner had a 2008 Aygo MMT for 4½ years, and it covered just over 38,000 trouble free miles.  She now has a 2011 Yaris MMT (1.33 6-speed) which currently has over 41,000 on the clock, also trouble free.  She loves the system, and unlike a small car with a conventional auto box, it's mpg and general performance is identical to the manual.  I must say I also enjoyed driving them too, and would have one if I wasn't so in love with the way the Hybrids drive - you can't beat a gear-less system.

A friend's ex-wife also has a 2008 Aygo MMT (as it happens, identical model, year, trim, colour and options to my ex's previous Aygo) which I believe is higher mileage (not sure how many) and which she also loves.  It too has been trouble free (touch wood!).

44 minutes ago, flash22 said:

You need to do the recalibration to the letter (page 3)

INF12215_GB.pdf 148.83 kB · 26 downloads

Thanks Flash, I’ve followed that exact document to the letter. Tried it many times and no luck. The weird thing is there is not even any codes showing up. 

Just thinking, if the clutch actuator isn’t clamped and you put it back, is there a way around it? Could that damage the clutch or only the actuators.

It’s a nice car, but the MMT is upsetting me

Did you send just the motor or the complete unit off, if you cleared the codes they may not come back unless you drive the car

P0808 is clutch sensor high - TCM doesn't see the position of the motor

P0900 is a known issue

TSB for P0900

CP-0022T-0411-EN.pdf

Hi Pete, This is the second new thread in the last few days where they having problems with the auto gear change. Seems when there are problems,there really are problems. I am not surprised some owners are trouble free, but there are too many who do have problems for me to not say anything to anyone asking “should I buy one”. I did test drive a used Yaris MMT back in 2012, I left it with them and the wife ended up with a Yaris diesel was was great.

Do you know is you have a:

Late 1.3 5 speed MMT

or 

Early 1.33 6 Speed MMT facelift

Assuming it is a later 1.33 6speed as Flash22 mentions there is a bulletin regarding P0900 and as P0808 affect the same unit ( Clutch actuator ) it highly likely the issue causing P0900 is also causing P0808.

Google CP-0022T-0411

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Pete, This is the second new thread in the last few days where they having problems with the auto gear change. Seems when there are problems,there really are problems. I am not surprised some owners are trouble free, but there are too many who do have problems for me to not say anything to anyone asking “should I buy one”. I did test drive a used Yaris MMT back in 2012, I left it with them and the wife ended up with a Yaris diesel was was great.

Yeah I hope this isn't going to be a repeat of several years ago where the forums had a steady stream of annoyed Aygo and Yaris MMT owners! :unsure:  

Hi Flash,

Yep, I sent the entire clutch actuator unit.

ok, make sense that no error codes would show until I drive it.

what about the consequences of not clamping the system and taking the clutch actuator off and back on. 

amazing how the car doesn’t even start properly and no throttle response after taking the actuator off an on.

Thanks for the TSB, I’ll give that a go and report back. 

not giving up just yet. 

Hi Flash,

Ok, so I’ve disconnected the connector from the clutch actuator motor and set my multimeter to 200 ohms and I’m getting a reading of 166.6ohms 

That’s the reading from the wiring and not the motor itself 

The resistance test is on the motor its self, not the wiring

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links