Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

dreaded epb

valentino46

Am i being a bit too fussy ,.... just had new discs and pads  ,last  November , all ok , but i have began to hear a clicking noise from the nearside  rear brake ,when the epb is applied  just as the brake grips the disc

No you are not fussy. Better to check than ignore! Who did the brake job? It may have not been done properly. A bolt may have not been tightened securely and come loose. The piston may have not been wound back so the cut out used by the wind back tool, are not aligned horizontally, so the nipple on the back of the inner pad sits within the cut out. The caliper will be forced on, then after a time the inner pad will start to wear on one part. I had this problem and had to replace the pads in less than 3 years, because the inner pads had warn badly!

• Like 1

Thanks Konrad ,local garage did the work in Nov 2020, but less then 3000 miles .. i will let you know the outcome when i go back TOMORROW

• Thanks 1

The only time I have heard the same noise is when both the pads and discs were worn out of spec. Changing both solved it ,but lots of mechanics have no idea how to do this job properly. Pins on the pads have to be lined up properly and all components seated after test run BEFORE EPB engaged in auto again.Also some pattern parts (pads) are very tight and need to be fitted properly. 

• Like 1

Well it looks like i have had no joy from the garage that did the disc and pad change .... they said they can hear the noise [like something ratchering up] and tell me they had it on the ramp , checked it and it is normal  but they did not take the wheel off it seems as the locking wheel nut was not touched , I said as an ex engineer it seems that something is catching somewhwere ,but no sir it is just the cable stretching... I am 78, and next time its the main dealer for me ,not the garage 100 yds from my house  THANKYOU GUYS .  i COULD TAKE IT FURTHER, BUT SORRY ,AT MY AGE I CANT STAND THE HASSLE ANY MORE

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, valentino46 said:

Well it looks like i have had no joy from the garage that did the disc and pad change .... they said they can hear the noise [like something ratchering up] and tell me they had it on the ramp , checked it and it is normal  but they did not take the wheel off it seems as the locking wheel nut was not touched , I said as an ex engineer it seems that something is catching somewhwere ,but no sir it is just the cable stretching... I am 78, and next time its the main dealer for me ,not the garage 100 yds from my house  THANKYOU GUYS .  i COULD TAKE IT FURTHER, BUT SORRY ,AT MY AGE I CANT STAND THE HASSLE ANY MORE

Sorry to hear the garage not being more helpful Michael. I have noticed a few garages make errors. Some have missed things, not put things back properly or not done the procedure. This is why I have been hands on with my car, and recently did a full front suspension job on my brother's Renault Grand Scenic. I actual did the brakes on that car too! Let's hope you get to the source of the noise.
78 years young, keep enjoying life. I am 20 years younger and doing a lot of cycling (2682 miles this year). 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links