Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Wing Mirror cap help

PAISLEY1903

So there I was sitting in my 1 week old Rav4 and a delivery van went past and clipped my mirror....

Have the guys insurance info and he's also happy to pay for it to be fixed but when I got home I pushed it back in myself and it seemed to clip back in.. and there is zero damage to it.

I have checked the tilt, mirrors closing, it flashes when cars go past for blind spot detection... 2 pics show what it was like, last one once I clipped it back in.

When I sent the photos to my dealer this morning he said he wasn't sure about that wee knick out the side.. when I asked if that could be where a tool goes to open it and its meant to be there he was unsure but said if it clips back in and fine "I wouldn't bother"...

Whats your thoughts..  Is that wee knick out it meant to be there... or is that a catch that's snapped off (seems strong hold when pushed back in).

20210921_113205.jpg

20210921_113210.jpg

20210921_121806.jpg

Hmm, dealer advice might be sound. If he gave you the money to fix it wouldn't be so bad but going through insurance carries a risk. Apparently insurance companies have a knack of increasing your risk factor as they see it as you are the sort of person who has accidents. Unbelievable, I know !

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Nothing like that on mine, so does look like a chip

IMG_20210921_134556.thumb.jpg.2a140d60728636da4a822714a636376b.jpg

thanks @Yugguy1970 yeah when mine clipped back in it looked exactly like yours (see my last photo) which makes me wonder if it was always there

Your photo is out of focus so it is really difficult to tell but it looks to me to be exactly the point where the plastic clip ought to be. I can't help thinking that you won't be happy until it is properly sorted ... and a wing mirror cover, even from Toyota, can't be that expensive ... 😉 

Just make sure you order the correct side, I have a friend who having spent ages sourcing a replacement cover ordered the wrong one, very frustrating. 

update - dealer has rang and said that wee cut out part is on them all. I went to other side of car and gently pushed back and could see it there so comfort in knowing that bit isn't snapped.

Its secure on... however dealer said there is a scuff on the frame - you can see it in this photo attached.

To me ... its not worth bothering about and can hardly notice it!   The Wife is "well it wasn't there until he hit your wing mirror and the car is a week old get him to fix it"

Would you say that is harsh....  or is she right!

Screenshot_20210921-164151_Gallery.jpg

Definitely do not go through the insurance as other poster says it would go down as no fault claim and could effect your premium.

I would get the van driver to pay for a new part as you could have problems with it popping out further down the line.

Going to get the black frame and the top cover replaced 🙂.  slight scuff but it is messing with my OCD

So in the cold light of the day - I have managed to get the mark away so that's good so looks just like the top cover which is cheap enough for the guy to pay.

Something I did notice, that I hadn't paid attention to before...  could someone test this for me..

standing at front of car or even sitting inside I noticed the driver side mirror finishes closing just a bit later than the passenger side.  To be honest its maybe always that way but I can still hear it and see It move.. might be like a second if that out but could someone check theirs for me please.  Just incase its an issue!

That's interesting cos with me its the opposite, passenger mirror closes before the drivers, just a smidgen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

That's interesting cos with me its the opposite, passenger mirror closes before the drivers, just a smidgen.

now this is completely messed up my brain and OCD levels to another scale hahahahahahahahha

16 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

actually this is what mine is doing sorry.  Passenger side closes just before the driver side.  At least I know its not a result of the prang !  thank you for checking this for me !!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

actually this is what mine is doing sorry.  Passenger side closes just before the driver side.  At least I know its not a result of the prang !  thank you for checking this for me !!!

Pay attention 007..................😂

• Haha 1

Oh man after 1 week not the best start but seems like no real damage done. I’m a bit like yourself I want it just right but it seems you have confirmed no real damage done.

But as said under no circumstances go through insurer. I moved my father  car and parked it for him, 4 hours later someone hit it and I called insurer to let them know driver had been traced by Police etc, I had a claim against me because I was the last one in the car and over a year later insurer still can’t open the file sent to them by Police.

8 minutes ago, Teefin said:

Oh man after 1 week not the best start but seems like no real damage done. I’m a bit like yourself I want it just right but it seems you have confirmed no real damage done.

But as said under no circumstances go through insurer. I moved my father  car and parked it for him, 4 hours later someone hit it and I called insurer to let them know driver had been traced by Police etc, I had a claim against me because I was the last one in the car and over a year later insurer still can’t open the file sent to them by Police.

In end I got rid of the buff and the dealer said its £75 for part Inc fitting for the top cover and the lad gave me £100 and it's new again so sorted.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links