Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Awaiting my 2021/22 Corolla 2.0TS Design - Apple CarPlay

MobiusRift

Hi all, 

I'll be using Apple CarPlay when the car arrives, I listen to music via Spotify and use Waze for navigation, both I believe are now available on CarPlay. Do I have to data-cable the iPhone to the USB under the facia? I'm assuming the second USB under the armrest is just for charging? Do you also have to make a bluetooth connection for CarPlay to work? Or is the bluetooth connection for the head unit to access the iPhone contact list etc when not using CarPlay?

Secondly, if my wife is in the car, and she has an iPhone does the car only recognise one of the phones at a time? I'm assuming so, and that it is the one connected by the data cable.

I know, I could wait a few months and find out for myself, just childishly excited 🙂

M

With the current multimedia unit, the phone, whether Android or iOS has to be connected via data cable.

Could download the full owners manual from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual  which should help answer some questions. Search using the 'generic search' option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MobiusRift said:

Hi all, 

I'll be using apple CarPlay when the car arrives, I listen to music via Spotify and use Waze for navigation, both I believe are now available on CarPlay. Do I have to data-cable the iPhone to the USB under the facia? I'm assuming the second USB under the armrest is just for charging? Do you also have to make a bluetooth connection for CarPlay to work? Or is the bluetooth connection for the head unit to access the iPhone contact list etc when not using CarPlay?

Secondly, if my wife is in the car, and she has an iPhone does the car only recognise one of the phones at a time? I'm assuming so, and that it is the one connected by the data cable.

I know, I could wait a few months and find out for myself, just childishly excited 🙂

M

You are right - USB in arm rest for charging, under the dash for car play. Works well - I’ve started to use it a lot recently. 

you can prioritise certain bluetooth parings for music I think - maybe have one connected to USB, and one via bluetooth

• Like 2

Does Android auto connect every time the car is started of do I have to connect it myself? 

• Like 1

For android auto, you always have to plug in your phone. After that it connects automatically, as in no additional setup on the phone or car stereo is needed.

When you set up android auto for the first time, car automaticity also sets up bluetooth. So next time that you come in the car, even if you don't connect your phone via cable to the car, phone is automaticity connected via bluetooth. So hands free calling and music playback is possible even without the cable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clix said:

For android auto, you always have to plug in your phone. After that it connects automatically, as in no additional setup on the phone or car stereo is needed.

When you set up android auto for the first time, car automaticity also sets up Bluetooth. So next time that you come in the car, even if you don't connect your phone via cable to the car, phone is automaticity connected via bluetooth. So hands free calling and music playback is possible even without the cable.

Thanks Clix, it's simpler than I thought it was going to be

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, MobiusRift said:

Hi all, 

I'll be using apple CarPlay when the car arrives, I listen to music via Spotify and use Waze for navigation, both I believe are now available on CarPlay. Do I have to data-cable the iPhone to the USB under the facia? I'm assuming the second USB under the armrest is just for charging? Do you also have to make a bluetooth connection for CarPlay to work? Or is the bluetooth connection for the head unit to access the iPhone contact list etc when not using CarPlay?

M

On the my22 mode CarPlay will be wireless

21 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

On the my22 mode CarPlay will be wireless

Apple car play will be wireless, Android Autoo will be wired. (according to the press release from Toyota yesterday).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links