Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cranking iQ But Not Firing (Now firing)

Norsebror

Hi there, reversed iQ up yesterday and everything was fine. However wife couldn't start the car this morning (she assumed Battery until I checked). So it's cranking fine but not starting and every so often does feel like there's a bit of fuel getting there as it nearly wants to go.

So sounds like one of two things; fuel delivery or HT

Car's in the road which is a pain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (Engine: 3 Cyl 998 CC Automatic)

UPDATE

Okay managed to get it started but is a bit ropey. Car's done about 58k

What's the spark check on these like ( 3cyl 998 CC Automatic)? Easy or something obscure?

Will order a new air filter regardless

Okay, this'll be a nice weekend job (laughs). Might as well do a service and check and replace spark plugs

Just a thought with these. I noticed in the past that it takes a good few days for the engine management to settle down after a Battery swap as it reassesses. The temperature here has significantly dropped over the weekend so am wondering if the the EMS has been duped by this?

Can you hear the fuel pump ? Has the tank been run dry/low ? Will it rev ? Look at the plugs, is one wetter than the others ? As it's coil on plug, swap the coils around and see if it starts any better - have a look at the misfire counters first tho

Yes I updated above. Got the car started. Thanks for feedback

Will do the plugs the weekend. Have to get car onto a drive first. 

Misfire counters?

Anyone know which of these Denso plugs I should get? Europarts not specifying Iridium just recommends either of these:

1) https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/denso-spark-plug-408990480

2) https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/denso-spark-plug-408776950/?promo=SALE60

I have an iQ3 with the 4 cylinder engine and have had a similar thing 4 or 5 times throughout my ownership. 

Basically if I start the car from cold, move it only a few feet, across the driveway for example, then stop it again, it can be a real pain to get started the next time. 

I think it is caused by over-fueling. The first time you start it the mixture will be very rich because the engine is cold then you stop the engine again leaving a rich mixture in the engine that condenses again into fuel. The next time you try to start it, the same rich mixture is injected causing a doubly rich mixture that barely runs.

If it happens I have to repeatedly crank the engine pressing the start button 5 or 6 times in a row with my foot on the accelerator pressed to the floor. It will eventually go with a cloud of smoke and rough running but keep it going, take it out for a drive and it will clear and be fine until the next time you want to move it across the driveway....

Craig.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 12 reg 998cc auto, and the same thing happens to mine, if I have to start it up from cold just to move it on the driveway to get the other car out the garage, then when I go to start it the next morning it wont start and as Craggle says if you keep cranking it half a dozen times it will start and after a couple of minutes it will be fine. So what I do now is if I need to start it up when cold just to move it, I let it run for a couple of minutes and it starts fine the next time you use it

• Like 1

just a thought. have you had the egr valve checked for gunk? if it sometimes does not reseat itself due to gunk it would let in to much air and the ecu would over compensate and run to rich which of course would foul the plugs.. worth a check

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links