Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Questions About MK2 Yaris

venomx

Hi. Hope someone can help me with these questions.

First one.. I get the " Low Engine Coolant Temperature Light " when I start up my car if it's cold out, but then it disappears after a couple of minutes, is this normal ?

Second... How do the automatic locks work ? I wouldn't want to be locked out if my keys are inside my car whilst it's on when cleaning the windows down if it's been raining. I unlocked the car this morning but didn't open any doors, but 30 seconds later it locked by itself.

Am I right in saying if you close the doors without the engine being on, it will lock itself, but if the ignition is on and you close the doors they stay unlocked ?

Thanks

I assume your car does not have an engine water temperature gauge, in which case you will have an indicator light for when the water in the engine is cold. As the engine running warms up the coolant the light will go out. It is best to treat the engine with respect while this light is on, by that I mean considerate acceleration.                                      

If your car has auto door locks this is usually speed activated, not time,  so you should not get locked out. But why not keep the keys on your person rather then leaving them in the car. Another negative of leaving keys unattended in the car is if you have a reason to move away from the car, to go inside your home for example, your car is in danger of being stolen, presumably with your house keys as well.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

But why not keep the keys on your person rather then leaving them in the car.

Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't leave the keys in there and walk away. It's just sometimes I go outside the car quickly to clean the windows if it's been raining.

33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If your car has auto door locks this is usually speed activated,

Could you explain this please ?

Thanks

On some cars, if the car is unlocked but no doors are opened, the car will re-lock within a given time. It is a security feature, and is common to other cars, not just Toyotas.

This is different to auto locking where, when the car is started and then driven off, at a set speed the car doors will automatically lock.

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

On some cars, if the car is unlocked but no doors are opened, the car will re-lock within a given time. It is a security feature, and is common to other cars, not just Toyotas.

Yes I learned that just now and that's what happens.

My question also is if you close the door and walk off, will it lock by itself ?

When you unlock the car, just open a door (or boot) and shut it again. I think you'll find the car will remain unlocked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, venomx said:

Yes I learned that just now and that's what happens.

My question also is if you close the door and walk off, will it lock by itself ?

Get into the habit that YOU lock the car, then you know its done.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Get into the habit that YOU lock the car, then you know its done.

I know mate. I just wanted to know how the auto-lock works. All has been answered now, thanks 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

When you unlock the car, just open a door (or boot) and shut it again. I think you'll find the car will remain unlocked.

Bathtub Tom is correct in his post as above.

1) Yes, this is normal - It basically means Don't Hoon The Car Until The Light Goes Out :laugh: There is also a similar red light, representing coolant overheat, but hopefully you'll never see that one! :eek: 

2) Also normal - If the door is remotely unlocked but no doors are opened it will lock itself again; I assume it's a safety feature in case you accidentally unlock the doors by sitting on the keys or something.

If you open a door and close it again it will suspend that 'feature', so you'd be safe to not get locked in, until you manually lock the car again with the remote.

Closing the door after driving will also not auto-lock - Manual remote locking only! (Even my Mk4 doesn't auto-lock if I walk off... the smart entry doesn't do smart exit apparently! :laugh: )

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links