Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV... HV mode then switching back to EV... doesn't always work.

Nick72

Not a real life test in my view and was on an early model, I believe that Toyota rejigged the tyre pressures. I really don’t believe anyone is going to drive their car like that and frankly not many cars perform well under those situations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Not a real life test in my view and was on an early model, I believe that Toyota rejigged the tyre pressures. I really don’t believe anyone is going to drive their car like that and frankly not many cars perform well under those situations.

Sorry Ernie - I'll go stand in the corner ... 🙂

It is a real world test - for those who need to avoid moose, rogue cyclists etc. - but I agree we will only do stuff like that in an emergency. The car tested is the revised version (software changes) - the earlier HEVs were even worse. And, yes, as stated in the test video none of the SUV style cars really do that well.

I'd hope that the Supra would be a lot more planted ... 😉 

• Like 1

Philip when you go to the corner please don’t sit on my chair! 😆

The thing I feel about that test is the double switch at such sharp turns which I find most unlikely, I can understand an avoidance move but I’d hope that the driver and the inbuilt aids would have kicked in to help the situation. The real winner in this is the guy making the videos he has so many followers, views, the advertising must make him a good living, the more cars he fails the better his revenue.

At the speeds I drive the car does feel planted, comfortable and safe. I’ve driven and owned a lot of cars for comparison. For an example of a car I did not like to drive at any speed into a corner I’d give you the LR Freelander (first model) double rate suspension that rocked and rolled under the slightest provocation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Nick, the thing is the RAV PHEV just does not look like it has the performance it can produce when needed and yet feels very planted.

Have driven lots of SUVs previously and have to say this handles best of all. By a long chalk. Very planted as you say.

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

It must be time to post the moose test video again ... 😁

😉

There's now a more recent test which has stability and control fixes in from Toyota. It's now much much better. Video on YouTube. Basically this was a poor software issue.

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

Sorry Ernie - I'll go stand in the corner ... 🙂

It is a real world test - for those who need to avoid moose, rogue cyclists etc. - but I agree we will only do stuff like that in an emergency. The car tested is the revised version (software changes) - the earlier HEVs were even worse. And, yes, as stated in the test video none of the SUV style cars really do that well.

I'd hope that the Supra would be a lot more planted ... 😉 

Valid test. But issue now fixed.

Results of that previous test were inexplicable.  Suspension reasonably firm, low CofG due to Battery on the floor plate, stiff chassis. Only explanation was S and C software.

Here we go on the recent tests... fixed.

Mine certainly feels solid and planted and I've twice made similar manoeuvres due to idiots pulling out of side roads without looking. Much, much better than my 3008 hybrid4 GT 300hp. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Mine certainly feels solid and planted and I've twice made similar manoeuvres due to idiots pulling out of side roads without looking. Much, much better than my 3008 hybrid4 GT 300hp. 

Similar, a bl@@dy idiot (big Merc SUV) came straight out of a lay-by whilst I was in the nearside lane on a dual carriageway doing 60mph. He didn't even flinch or reduce speed.

It was then I remembered I had a Dashcam (first time) - wouldn't want to be without one now.

• Like 1

I'm generally very pleased with the handling and ride quality - it feels a even more secure & stable cornering at speed than my previous Kodiaq (which was a great car). The only thing I'm not so pleased with is braking over non-ideal road surfaces. There's one particular approach to a roundabout coming from a straight stretch of unrestricted road, where I'm braking quite hard approaching the junction - where the road surface is less than ideal, minor potholes and dips - and the car really struggles, with the brakes releasing and reapplying as it tries to find grip. I never noticed this in the Kodiaq in this location. I suspect it's because the ride is a little harder (due to the weight) in the RAV4, so the wheels/suspension are not as quick to move in response to the varying road surface. But it's really disconcerting to feel the brakes pulse like that as you're trying to rapidly slow. I'm not looking forwards to the day when I need to apply really strong braking in an emergency situation over a less than ideal road surface!
I took an elderly neighbour for his flu-jabs last weekend. He was very impressed by the ride quality - told me he thought it felt like being in a Rolls Royce. Not that either of us have ever experienced it - but i know what it means - I think it's the weight of the car just gives it a really nice solid feel.

• Like 1

@spicyhotone, when I first got my PHEV it was the obvious change to regenerative braking and the transition to disc braking that took a few miles to get experienced with. I then found that the disc brakes took awhile to bed in because they were not being used during each braking phase with a tendency to ‘grab’ on loose surfaces. However, having clocked up around the 4K mark and used the disc braking more they seem really fine under all conditions.  

• Like 1

We'll see - I'm at 2K now, and it feels as if it gets worse not better (but that maybe just driving on more diffierent roads/surfaces). I'm used to driving a full EV, so am used to the regen/disc brake issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

I'm generally very pleased with the handling and ride quality - it feels a even more secure & stable cornering at speed than my previous Kodiaq (which was a great car). The only thing I'm not so pleased with is braking over non-ideal road surfaces. There's one particular approach to a roundabout coming from a straight stretch of unrestricted road, where I'm braking quite hard approaching the junction - where the road surface is less than ideal, minor potholes and dips - and the car really struggles, with the brakes releasing and reapplying as it tries to find grip. I never noticed this in the Kodiaq in this location. I suspect it's because the ride is a little harder (due to the weight) in the RAV4, so the wheels/suspension are not as quick to move in response to the varying road surface. But it's really disconcerting to feel the brakes pulse like that as you're trying to rapidly slow. I'm not looking forwards to the day when I need to apply really strong braking in an emergency situation over a less than ideal road surface!
I took an elderly neighbour for his flu-jabs last weekend. He was very impressed by the ride quality - told me he thought it felt like being in a Rolls Royce. Not that either of us have ever experienced it - but i know what it means - I think it's the weight of the car just gives it a really nice solid feel.

Had the braking issue. Weird. Dodgy bit of road and the ABS stays on too long with no braking force. Caught me out twice so far.

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Had the braking issue. Weird. Dodgy bit of road and the ABS stays on too long with no braking force. Caught me out twice so far.

Yes, had that on the 4.4 as well. Never on any other ABS equipped car - take it it's bound up in the regen. feature?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Yes, had that on the 4.4 as well. Never on any other ABS equipped car - take it it's bound up in the regen. feature?

It could be but it just loses any braking function during immediately 'after' hitting a pot hole or bit of gravel. The ABS is just staying on a second or so longer than it should. Could do with a software fix. Happened when approaching a roundabout once and took me slightly over the line. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links