Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla fuel tank open switch

Chriss27

Is it just me but does anyone else keep catching the fuel tank open switch with their feet when getting in and out of the car. I don’t realise I have done it until I notice it is open at a later point 

It's just you :biggrin:

No, I'm sure it isn't, but definitely not an issue I've had (yet).

• Haha 1

Are you sure you have done it? You say you don't notice doing it.

Could it be a fault in the lock of the filler cover or release mechanism? 

I've never managed to catch mine. 

I am sure we all have a method of getting out, especially if in restricted space.  It will be different based on age, agility etc. 

I haven't caught it but I get my right leg out first then lever my body out, left leg trailing.  My left foot is possibly pretty close.  

Could it be your shoes and their size? 

2 hours ago, Jiff said:

Are you sure you have done it? You say you don't notice doing it.

Could it be a fault in the lock of the filler cover or release mechanism? 

I've never managed to catch mine. 

Well tbh assumed it was me but then will try and see if maybe as you state if it is an issue with the actual mechanism thanks 

What about hitting the ESP button with your knee ? I only notice it when the deactivation message appears .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Popama said:

What about hitting the ESP button with your knee ? I only notice it when the deactivation message appears .

Yip I know the feeling, its the head scratching moment of "what have I done for this message to appear on the screen"

Does the ESP automatically rearm itself once a certain speed is reached? 

• 5 weeks later...

There is an internal lock to the tank which closes after 30 mins (due to Vapours and regulations which is why the Phev models can open the charging station from the flap whilst the fuel filler cap has to be opened from inside the cabin) so nobody can siphon petrol. I’m guessing it’s not  great for aerodynamics though that the flap is open

i could`nt say that i have done this , i suppose it depends how tall you are and how you get in or out , i am 5`8".

On 10/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, Chriss27 said:

Is it just me but does anyone else keep catching the fuel tank open switch with their feet when getting in and out of the car. I don’t realise I have done it until I notice it is open at a later point 

The release lever/switch is recessed, how do you manage to catch it when getting in or out?  I find I have to remind myself to pull the lever before getting out of the car (my last 2 cars had a push release of the flap to open).

Thats what i assumed was happening tbh, I think now that is not the issue, somehow i occasionally find it open again and I know I am closing it properly so monitoring it at the moment with possibility taking it to dealer to investigate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links