Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Autolights/Main beam, mk3 hybrid

MikeSh

As winter approaches I've had to use the car (2018 Yaris hybrid) in the dark for the first time and it refused to give me high beam on demand. The handbook is no help (again).

The car is RHD, has keyless entry, push button start and an auto position on the light switch.

Initially I had the switch in auto, so being dark it turned the dipped lights on. When I pushed the stalk forward there was a short delay and then a yellow auto light symbol appeared on the dash, but no main beam. So I changed the switch back to the ordinary headlights position (ie. not auto) but the dip-main operation was the same, auto symbol and no high beam.

I thought maybe the car needed to be 'reset' to remove the auto function, so I pulled over, turned it off and turned it on again. Same thing.

When I got home I spent some time trying every permutation (and reading the handbook). I found that with the car turned off I could turn the headlights on and pushing the stalk then gave main beam (blue symbol) as one would expect. But with the car turned on it went back to this auto function and refuses to give main beam on demand, regardless of switch position.

The only way to get high beam while on the move, side from waiting for the car to decide it should do that - if ever - is to pull the stall to get the flash function.

It's this normal? Faulty? Basically Mod edit? Any advice/ideas welcome.

Presumably you have auto high beam, which, when the headlight switch is in auto and the lever is pushed forward, selects auto high beam. High beam will then only illuminate when the car detects no other vehicles approaching or strong light sources in front.

My auto high beam works the same as yours only comes on when in total darkness and no approaching vehicle detected. There’s a button under the steering wheel by your right knee that turns auto high beam on and off, if it’s in the off position the high beam works as you would expect.  On with stalk forward & off when stalk back. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Ah, I see.  Be nice if they mentioned that switch in the car's handbook (or at least in the section about operating the lights should it be somewhere else).

Thank you and also @Ralph H for the pointer.  I will look for that switch when I'm next in the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links