Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Head Gasket Problem

PhilThomas

Hi guys, New to the forum here.

I bought a Toyota Avenisis D4D Tr 57 plate about 3 months ago from a local dealer.

I had low coolant in it, so I topped it up with the advised OAT coolant, there was currently green coolant in it, I didn't flush the old coolant out, but I didn't think it would make a different as there was only about half an inch of the old coolant in the coolant chamber. (I'm not sure if this really matters)

3/4 weeks went by, and my heaters weren't warming up, I googled it and it said that it might be the coolant, I checked and it was bone dry, bought new coolant, topped it up, and then it started to make like a bubbling nose when I started it up.

I immediately booked it in to a local garage, they told me it could be a broken radiator cap or a broken thermostat causing the problem so they decided to try this first.

Day later coolant was low again, took it back and they done a fumes test in the coolant chamber, they told me my head gasket has blown, and the was oil in the coolant chamber.

They priced me £2500!! for the repair, or they said you could try Steal seal, as they have had a 50/50 success rate with it, they said it all depends on how big the leak in the gasket is.

Before I decide to go down this route, I wanted to get someone's else's experience on the situation.

They also told me the D4D before 2012 were notorious for head gasket failures.

Should I try this steal seal or just get a new head. the cars only done 71k miles and its had one owner from new.

The garage hasn't issued me a refund as I only had warranty for a month.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards 

Have a look at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

This, irrespective of any warranty, whether live or expired, if the product (in your case a car) has been bought within the last six months, provides protection for the purchaser. Look at the section: how long do you have to return a faulty product?

Firstly as frosty has said have a look at your consumer rights if you don’t get anywhere with that I know people have had good results with these head gasket sealant products but wether they last I don’t know I feel that these products are no substitute for a proper repair i have heard good reviews of k seal ultimate available on Amazon.

As to D4D engines being notorious for head gasket problems this was more applicable to the 2.2 T180 up to about 2008 then I think the problems were mostly ironed out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links