Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please help with my 1998 Avensis

DuneBuggy66

Hi everyone,

I really need some help with my 1998 Toyota Avensis. I got given this car 3 years ago and it's pretty amazing. It only had 60k on the clock when I got it and the engine is as strong as ever. However, I'm having trouble with electrics and rubber and really need some help.

The biggest issue is the alarm. both key fob batteries died and now don't work. I've got replacement batteries but they won't sync (as per instruction manual). My local Toyota dealer couldn't fix it! I can't afford to pay £600 - £700 to disable it so want to disable it myself. Any ideas?

Also, the front bumper grille fell out but I can't find a replacement, anyone know where I could get one?

The trim on the doors is coming off and again, I can't find replacement anywhere. Can I just buy 'trim' somewhere and fit it?

I feel like this car, although old, would be amazing if I had the knowledge and skills to just jazz it up a bit. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DuneBuggy66 said:

Hi everyone,

I really need some help with my 1998 Toyota Avensis. I got given this car 3 years ago and it's pretty amazing. It only had 60k on the clock when I got it and the engine is as strong as ever. However, I'm having trouble with electrics and rubber and really need some help.

The biggest issue is the alarm. both key fob batteries died and now don't work. I've got replacement batteries but they won't sync (as per instruction manual). My local Toyota dealer couldn't fix it! I can't afford to pay £600 - £700 to disable it so want to disable it myself. Any ideas?

Also, the front bumper grille fell out but I can't find a replacement, anyone know where I could get one?

The trim on the doors is coming off and again, I can't find replacement anywhere. Can I just buy 'trim' somewhere and fit it?

I feel like this car, although old, would be amazing if I had the knowledge and skills to just jazz it up a bit. 

Thanks!

You forgot to add money to the “if I had” list.

Not much free in this world. Thankfully this government has not yet thought of taxing the air we breathe, so keep on gulping it down while it’s stil costing nothing.

Moved to the Avensis club.

3 hours ago, DuneBuggy66 said:

I don't know the car or the trim, but I have used a double sided foam tape made by the 3M company on trim on other cars, it's called VHB (Very High Bond).  It is used, sometimes at the factory to stick trim, and also number plates at the dealer etc.  It comes in a variety of widths and foam thicknesses.  Google "3M VHB", but it's not very cheap, but I notice Screwfix sell some of the range.

An alternative that I haven't used, is this stuff from Sweden, it comes well reviewed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanojtape-Superbond-Double-Acrylic-Mounting/dp/B076LZXL95/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521104774&sr=8-4&keywords=sanojtape&th=1

The key fob description sound like the keys are out of sync with the car. It is covered in the owners manual and simple to synchronise. 

Also another issue is the 7.5a Dome fuse that stops the remote central locking from working. The metal degrades but not actually blown. It is located in the engine compartment fuse box, diagram on the cover. 

I assume you have replaced the batteries in both the keys, but it may be the faults above!

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The key fob description sound like the keys are out of sync with the car. It is covered in the owners manual and simple to synchronise. 

Also another issue is the 7.5a Dome fuse that stops the remote central locking from working. The metal degrades but not actually blown. It is located in the engine compartment fuse box, diagram on the cover. 

I assume you have replaced the batteries in both the keys, but it may be the faults above!

As per the other thread, given the symptoms of no fob's, no central locking via key, an alarm issue (not turning off) and not being able to program keys (car think it's locked) the only common part is the integration relay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links