Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - Feeling Dirty!

nlee

Left my office last night with plenty of Battery left for my full EV commute. However, the quick drop in temperature after dusk left front and rear windows misted. I had to use both demisters before I could drive off which started the ICE. Then the engine continues to run until it warms up meaning I used the engine for about a third of the journey home. I understand why it works like this but felt it was a shame.

I don't think I've suddenly become obsessive over the impact of burning fossil fuels but I was gutted it ended my streak of 3.5 weeks of only driving EV only!

• Like 1

I’ve experienced the same thing, you could try using the app to defrost the front and rear screens prior to getting into the car as I think this uses the Battery and will not start the ICE.  I have also found that using the pre heating before I get it will fog up the windows, reversing mirror, MID screen and Head Unit screen so when you get in this means putting on the front demister and of course the ICE comes. I’m looking for a better solution maybe trying using the recirculation button?

I also like to use the EV on local trips wherever possible

• Like 2

Positive is that you managed 3.5 weeks of EV only. There are obviously going to be more weather days like yesterday to come over the next few months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Positive is that you managed 3.5 weeks of EV only. There are obviously going to be more weather days like yesterday to come over the next few months.

Yes, I expected around 80% of my journeys could be EV with the range it is capable of so really pleased with how it's going. According to the app, lifetime mpg is currently 148 so still below the crazy figures they quote but well within my expectations.

• Like 1

I’ve had the car since late May and mine says 129.9mpg for the year, silly numbers but reflects that a large percentage of my trips are also EV only.  My longest local trips are around 40 miles so currently I have range in hand I’m hoping that even with the colder weather I should still manage to run on EV. One thing I do is if I think the car will flip to HEV mode I trigger that with enough remaining distance to get the ICE hot rather than turn if off when it’s still running cold.

• Like 1

I applied some anti-fog solution to my side windows - it helps; maybe it's not 100% but works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LynxE said:

I applied some anti-fog solution to my side windows - it helps; maybe it's not 100% but works.

That might be an idea. I noticed in the low sun the other day that the inside of the windscreen was hazy and a bit dirty. I suspect it didn't get a decent clean in the PDI. Maybe a good clean with some decent glass cleaner/anti fog might help.

13 minutes ago, nlee said:

That might be an idea. I noticed in the low sun the other day that the inside of the windscreen was hazy and a bit dirty. I suspect it didn't get a decent clean in the PDI. Maybe a good clean with some decent glass cleaner/anti fog might help.

Mine got a clean with a cloth that was obviously covered in some kind of exterior cleaner, it was OK for a week or so then took me hours to clean it back, in the end resorting to a cream to cut though the crap. I use RainX on the outside I think I’ve got a bottle of the internal version so I’ll give that a try.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links