Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad day

Starensis

I’ve just fitted a chrome rear scuff plate to my wife’s Yaris (2018). After fitting and stepping back to admire my handwork, I noticed it was in the wrong position on bumper. Didn’t realise plate had a crease line to match bumper profile. 😡 I’ve had to rip it off and by doing so have basically ruined the plate! £90 down the drain! 🥴

Also tried to remove rear light cluster. Removed the x2 nuts, but thing wouldn’t budge. I know there are a couple of clips in addition to the nuts, but could not dislodge them. Stop/tail Bulb holder is a pig to access also in-situ.

Do I have to remove portion of rear bumper to remove cluster?

Having a bad day so far……..

• Sad 1

On a 2018 there are clips/bracket under the bumper cover, 2 nuts (stick a rag down the hole) its clipped and has locating posts

Pics for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393671208826

Plastic or metal load protector ? if plastic, warm it up with a hairdrier it should go back in to shape

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

On a 2018 there are clips/bracket under the bumper cover, 2 nuts (stick a rag down the hole) its clipped and has locating posts

Pics for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393671208826

Plastic or metal load protector ? if plastic, warm it up with a hairdrier it should go back in to shape

So it’s bumper off - or at least loosened?

Scuff plate is chrome, so think it’s done for. Double-sided tape is also ripped off now. 😢

Ack that sucks! :sad:

The doublesided tape is usually just some variant of 3M VHB tape so you can probably get it from B&Q/Screwfix/Amazon/eBay. Need to clear off the old stuff completely and clean it with isopropyl or something to make sure the new tape sticks properly tho', or it might end up in someone's grille on a hot day :laugh: 

What's the problem with the scuff-plate now? Is it bent or twisted or something? Is it stainless steel or plastic?

Light cluster is quite hard to remove on first try, the clips will destroy your fingers.

But if you manage to get it off, after that it will be rather easy to remove. 

Still, most of the bulbs are acessible without having to remove it completelly.

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ack that sucks! :sad:

The doublesided tape is usually just some variant of 3M VHB tape so you can probably get it from B&Q/Screwfix/Amazon/eBay. Need to clear off the old stuff completely and clean it with isopropyl or something to make sure the new tape sticks properly tho', or it might end up in someone's grille on a hot day :laugh: 

What's the problem with the scuff-plate now? Is it bent or twisted or something? Is it stainless steel or plastic?

Yes, it’s stainless steel. By pulling the thing away from bumper, it’s almost destroyed it. Bent to a point where it will be impossible to straighten - without a heavy press or similar.
Could kick myself for not taking a bit more time.

10 minutes ago, furtula said:

Light cluster is quite hard to remove on first try, the clips will destroy your fingers.

But if you manage to get it off, after that it will be rather easy to remove. 

Still, most of the bulbs are acessible without having to remove it completelly.

Did you have to loosen bumper? Bulb holder is quite awkward in-situ.

Bugger... got any local blacksmiths or something? :laugh: 

Although their services aren't usually cheap either...!

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Bugger... got any local blacksmiths or something? :laugh: 

Although their services aren't usually cheap either...!

Might get £5 off the tat man.

• Sad 1

:sad: 

Could sell it on eBay - "Used, Faulty, for spares/repairs only" :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links