Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV Spare wheel

Roger_N

Will the wheel for a PHEV fit in the tyre well and will the boot floor fit OK?

The HEVF for 2022 is getting 19” wheels and I would like to get a full size spare.

When I asked about the wheels before, the size was 18" for the current model.

They do not supply a spare wheel and I’ve not been ble to buy one from the dealer. The dealer has said that it’s not an option, it is standard in the US. They specify where fitted a compact spare T165/90D18 107M. I’ve seen YouTube videos where they show fitting a full size tyre, maybe check those out?

problem is sourcing a insert..

I bought a nine OEM compact spare.

16 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Will the wheel for a PHEV fit in the tyre well and will the boot floor fit OK?

The HEVF for 2022 is getting 19” wheels and I would like to get a full size spare.

When I asked about the wheels before, the size was 18" for the current model.

The wheels are the same size irrespective of whether 17", 18" or 19" rims are used - the profile of the tyre makes up the difference ...

24 minutes ago, ernieb said:

They do not supply a spare wheel and I’ve not been ble to buy one from the dealer. The dealer has said that it’s not an option, it is standard in the US. They specify where fitted a compact spare T165/90D18 107M. I’ve seen YouTube videos where they show fitting a full size tyre, maybe check those out?

problem is sourcing a insert..

I bought a nine OEM compact spare.

As. Have already said before you have 2 choices for the insert. 1. Order a insert if you know someone who has a HEV with the spare. It has to be available as a spare part for that car.Will probably cost you an arm and a leg for it though.

2. Make one from Celotex insulation. It is like cutting butter.

Already posted pictures of what I made and I think it cost me about £10/20 pounds max. It really wasn’t expensive.

You could actually make one for whatever size spare you choose to buy.

If anyone is interested then I will post the pics of mine again. Really is not a problem.

Terry

Terry

Thanks for your pictures but in this instance it’s not the insert that is the issue.

It’s the size of the wheel and tyre, as far as I have been able to find out from pictures the PHEV as a larger wheel and the tyre size is 235/55/R19 rather than the  18“ is 225/55/18.

This will make it deeper and a larger diameter, I just want to know if it will fit in the spare wheel well.

The dealer may not sell it as a kit but surly they cannot refuse to sell a wheel, as you could damage one and want a replacement or look for one from a breakers yard it’s not often that all wheels are damaged. I did this with my CX-5 got them a wheel and tyre for £125

Ernie

What is the size of your tyres please.

14 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Terry

Thanks for your pictures but in this instance it’s not the insert that is the issue.

It’s the size of the wheel and tyre, as far as I have been able to find out from pictures the PHEV as a larger wheel and the tyre size is 235/55/R19 rather than the  18“ is 225/55/18.

This will make it deeper and a larger diameter, I just want to know if it will fit in the spare wheel well.

The dealer may not sell it as a kit but surly they cannot refuse to sell a wheel, as you could damage one and want a replacement or look for one from a breakers yard it’s not often that all wheels are damaged. I did this with my CX-5 got them a wheel and tyre for £125

Ernie

What is the size of your tyres please.

The HEV comes on 225/65/17, 225/60/18 or 225/55/19, all on 7" rims ... but that's not what you are asking / need to know ...

The PHEV comes on 235/55/19 on a 7.5" rim which gives an effective diameter of 742mm. Where supplied the PHEV space saver spare is 165/90/18 which has an effective diameter of 754mm (i.e. is greater that the full OEM wheel) so a full size PHEV spare will fit within the diameter of the wheel well.

Measuring the wheel well dimension on my HEV (the PHEV could be different but I doubt it) I get a diameter of 790mm and a depth of 233mm to the higher position of the boot floor - I don't claim my measurements are millimetre perfect! 😉 So a full sized spare will fit comfortably within the available diameter but may cause the boot floor to sit slightly proud depending on how the wheel / tyre sits on the unevenly fixed sound deadening material fixed to the floor of the wheel well.

HTH ... it help help more if someone with a PHEV fancies measuring their wheel well to check, but I suspect it just going to be a bit 'tight' in terms of depth ...

AFAIK The PHEV doesn’t have a spare wheel well due to the underfloor Battery. So this is all a bit academic. 

39 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

AFAIK The PHEV doesn’t have a spare wheel well due to the underfloor battery. So this is all a bit academic. 

The traction Battery is forward of the rear axle, and Ernie has a spare installed in the well so there must be a wheel well - whether it's exactly the same size as the one on the HEV is another question ...

There is a spare wheel well and you can certainly get a doughnut tyre in there and the boot cover fits flat.

49941D86-0DEE-4252-B335-6891AA7725A0.jpeg

39 minutes ago, ernieb said:

There is a spare wheel well and you can certainly get a doughnut tyre in there and the boot cover fits flat.

49941D86-0DEE-4252-B335-6891AA7725A0.jpeg

I can't remember whether Ernie bought the KOM or the Road Hero kit - either way the 'doughnut' is 155/85/18. As Ernie says above, the OEM spare for the PHEV is 165/90/18. From Ernie's picture it seems clear that the 165 will fit under the floor (just) but the full size 235 is going to raise the load floor at least a couple of inches ... 

Thanks Philip for taking the time to check that out for me, the best (nearest fit) I can see is a 225/60 R18.

Not a exactly the same but as close as I will get at a reasonable price and better than a skinny spare and should fit with no issues.

Ernie Thanks for the picture and the link.

For some reason I got it into my head that the 19” rim on the MY 2022 was the same as the PHEV.

• Like 1

Firstly I hope I’m not breaking forum rules in posting this.

Toyota has a shop on eBay and there is a discount on some parts, one is on this: Genuine Toyota RAV4 19" Alloy Wheel 5 Split Spoke 19X7.5J 2020-2021 4261142630

This looks to me like a PHEV wheel in black, if I am allow to post a direct link I will, just let me know. The discount only last for 2 more days with click and collect free postage.

I am only trying to help if someone wants a full size spare for towing.

Have you seen the price?! I think I would be inclined to find the wheel rim width, offset and bolt pitch and buy a non OE wheel OR keep an eye on breakers for a good used wheel. 

For what it's worth, 7" rim on HEV (225 tyres) and 7.5" rim (235 tyres) on PHEV; both use PCD: 5x114.3 ...

I can't see anyone complaining at a link to the official Toyota shop on eBay - but it's dead easy to find using Google anyway ... 😉

19 minutes ago, philip42h said:

For what it's worth, 7" rim on HEV (225 tyres) and 7.5" rim (235 tyres) on PHEV; both use PCD: 5x114.3 ...

I can't see anyone complaining at a link to the official Toyota shop on eBay - but it's dead easy to find using Google anyway ... 😉

I think the offset is different on the 7.5" rims, how much that effects thing I'm unsure.

1 hour ago, Roger_N said:

I think the offset is different on the 7.5" rims, how much that effects thing I'm unsure.

I believe that is correct - ET40 on the 7.5" rims (and ET35 on the 7" rims) ... but there are always shims ...

Though if you want a fifth useable standard road wheel I suspect that you'll want something identical to the OEM wheel supplied by Toyota with a tyre that doesn't care about direction of rotation.

For a spare I am not bothered about matching the style - as long as it meets the technical criteria and is a darn sight cheaper than the Toyota price list!! 

I understand that the  PHEV has larger brake callipers than the HEV therefore you’ll need a minimum of 18” diameter wheel, and a tyre size with a wall profile that gives you an overall diameter (wheel + tyre wall) as close as possible to the factory wheels / tyres.

There are a number of apps that let you play about with tyre / wheel size and give you information like overall diameter difference etc.

21 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

For a spare I am not bothered about matching the style - as long as it meets the technical criteria and is a darn sight cheaper than the Toyota price list!! 

It will probably still be to expensive but did you see there was £75 off the Toyota price? 

Given it should be possible to pick up a suitable wheel for £200 or less then even with £75 off it is still taking the proverbial. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got this for my 2021 PHEV:

https://tyremen.co.uk/product/18-toyota-rav-4-2019-2021-k-o-m-space-saver-spare-wheel-tyre-kit/

And secured it with this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323856777744

You'll obviously have to take the big chunk of foam out, just give it a yank vertically and it'll pop out - the plastic fastener holding it in isn't actually a screw, just one of those serrated ikea-style plugs.

The jack in the linked kit fits fine in the jack slot at the back of the spare wheel well. The tyre iron doesn't go anywhere specifically, but it comes with a bag and you can wedge it next to the tyre itself.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, looks very good.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links