Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icon tech 2019 struggled to go steep slope

sufy

So there was a steep slope and my Yaris really struggled to go up, and what happened was whilst i was going up the engine shut off and it took us a few tries to get the car up the slope and most times the engine just shut off. In the end we got up it. I think it also came up with a error message but couldn't get it as it went away quickly.

Why did this happen. It's a 1.5. Does it just not have enough power to go up steep slopes? It was a steep slope but still.

What is a slope? A slope up to you garage, for example, or a road that has an incline.        
Is you car a manual or automatic?          
Have you had any problems with the car? (Apart from the slope).        
Last service, when?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What is a slope? A slope up to you garage, for example, or a road that has an incline.        
Is you car a manual or automatic?          
Have you had any problems with the car? (Apart from the slope).        
Last service, when?

Sorry it's an incline on the road but a steep one. It's a manual. No problems with the car and last service was this year. Was brought brand new from rrg Huddersfield and have had it for a bit over 2 and a half years.

1 hour ago, sufy said:

Sorry it's an incline on the road but a steep one. It's a manual. No problems with the car and last service was this year. Was brought brand new from rrg Huddersfield and have had it for a bit over 2 and a half years.

When you drive uphill it is normal for any car to loose some speed, in manual transmission you select lower gear and when you do so does the car still straggle to climb up? For example, if you drive with 40mph in 4th gear then step hill begins and you select 3th gear to maintain speed of around 40mph and the car is still loosing speed and you have to go down to second gear, is that the case? If yes there should be something that cause lost of power, air filter, spark plugs, tyre pressure,. Or  the new E10petrol perhaps? Maybe try using E5 , check tyres pressures on cold and see if these make any difference. 
Good luck 

• Thanks 1

If my crappy old 1.33 Mk2 can get up the steep side of Muswell hill, your 1.5 should be able to get up any hill as well! :laugh: In fact I've been up that hill in an Aygo and it was fine! (Moving off up said hill from a stop wasn't fun admittedly...)

Admittedly I had to do it in 1st/2nd gear due to the traffic making me loose all my momentum, but still! (That was a shock the first time, after being used to doing it in 3rd/4th in the diesel Mk1! :laugh: )

That said if you can't get up it even in 1st, there may be a problem with the car, maybe fuel system or transmission...?

• Like 1

Did you change gear as you went up the slope? Was there any unusual noise from the engine or elsewhere? 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Did you change gear as you went up the slope? Was there any unusual noise from the engine or elsewhere? 

I was stopped and had handbrake on. No unusual noise from engine.

You said in your first post you were going up the slope…… so did you drop down to a lower gear?  What gear was you in and what gear did you drop down to.?

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

You said in your first post you were going up the slope…… so did you drop down to a lower gear?  What gear was you in and what gear did you drop down to.?

I didn't drop down a gear. I was going up it in 1st gear and then it just wasn't going up so then then the car just shut off.  Took a few tries to get it up.

When i go next time to that place I'll take a picture of it so you can actually see how steep it is lol

No idea then... it shouldn't stall in 1st just from going up a hill, especially if it's already moving!

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

No idea then... it shouldn't stall in 1st just from going up a hill, especially if it's already moving!

Was the car revving, or after you put it into 1st gear did it just die as you released the clutch pedal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links