Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 estima engine oil overfill !!

Eamonn22

Hi folks, need someones reassurance but honesty too, i noticed my dipstick oil level was on minimum and read capacity is 4.5 liters so topped it up with 3/4 of a 5L toyota 0w20 bottle then drove about 7km then home... next Morning checked level ( before starting car ) and noticed the very high level roughly about 2 inches higher on dipstick max !! Very silly i know, so i used suction cyclinder hose and sucked it all back out again its now mid full which is fine..car drives grand no leaks no smoke no loss of power... All good but im concerned still, any thoughts please ? Cheers

36 minutes ago, Corolla2004 said:

Was the car on level ground each time?

Not exactly no, slightly off level ground

The fact it drives just fine suggests all is probably OK. If you overfill the oil you run the risk of the crankshaft dipping into the oil each revolution and causing the oil to froth and foam which in turn means the oil may not circulate correctly if the pump is trying to pump froth rather than liquid.

You have probably got away with it on this occasion.

3 hours ago, Eamonn22 said:

Hi folks, need someones reassurance but honesty too, i noticed my dipstick oil level was on minimum and read capacity is 4.5 liters so topped it up with 3/4 of a 5L toyota 0w20 bottle then drove about 7km then home... next Morning checked level ( before starting car ) and noticed the very high level roughly about 2 inches higher on dipstick max !! Very silly i know, so i used suction cyclinder hose and sucked it all back out again its now mid full which is fine..car drives grand no leaks no smoke no loss of power... All good but im concerned still, any thoughts please ? Cheers

I’m no expert but as you’ve only driven less than five miles and then reduced the overfill, you should be 👍 

3 hours ago, Eamonn22 said:

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

min to max markings is 3/4 - 1L of oil

Oil comes in 1L, 4l or 5l bottles

You need to syphon some oil out with a tube down the dip stick

something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wekster-Multi-Purpose-Transfer-Dipstick-Extractor/dp/B076TMQGMN

Thanks im going to buy one, i borrowed one and Syphoned few liters back out next morning car is driving fine so i really hope stays that way

Thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback, so of there was a problem now i would know by now is that correct ,?

2 hours ago, Mooly said:

The fact it drives just fine suggests all is probably OK. If you overfill the oil you run the risk of the crankshaft dipping into the oil each revolution and causing the oil to froth and foam which in turn means the oil may not circulate correctly if the pump is trying to pump froth rather than liquid.

You have probably got away with it on this occasion.

Thanks for your detailed response, i hope all will stay okay as was quite concerned

I think you would have known when you were driving with it overfilled if something were wrong. If it had been sucking froth instead of oil you would have been aware.

21 minutes ago, Mooly said:

I think you would have known when you were driving with it overfilled if something were wrong. If it had been sucking froth instead of oil you would have been aware.

I think so too, i never knew from min-max is only approx 1 liter if had known that i wouldn't of lashed so much in 🙈 now i know thats for sure, so hopefully it will be okay for me 🤞🤞 thanks man

If you are driving a non hybrid 2.4, then you have added the wrong oil anyway.

I would be inclined to do an oil change with 5:30 fully synthetic on level ground.

13 hours ago, Paulscarbs said:

If you are driving a non hybrid 2.4, then you have added the wrong oil anyway.

I would be inclined to do an oil change with 5:30 fully synthetic on level ground.

Duly noted, appreciate the response

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links