Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting problems Toyota Previa TSPIRIT 2,4 Petrol/Auto

Swantee

Battery new and fully charged & connectors clean and solid but suddenly getting a single soft click when key turned in ignition (Similar to dead Battery but softer) Was working fine up until this sudden fault?

Suggestions please.

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Starter motor ? Have you jump started the car before you had this issue ?

It was jump started  by the RAC when the Alternator failed but I fixed that and it has been running fine for about a week or more and a brand new Battery installed. I parked up around my house and when I went to start her the problem arose. All the dashboard lights go off for a second or two but no starter response apart from the 'Soft' click.

Starter or Solenoid? Would any accidental change of the Key coding have anything to do with It? (ie. pressing of the key buttons whilst in the ignition?)

Thanks 'Flash22'

It could well be the Battery has gone flat again, if it's a cheap remanufactured alternator it may well of failed, it's worth paying for a Denso alternator

Because it's new doesn't mean it's good

32 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It could well be the battery has gone flat again, if it's a cheap remanufactured alternator it may well of failed, it's worth paying for a Denso alternator

Because it's new doesn't mean it's good

No offence BUT I ensured the brand new Battery was fully charged before I considered  posting by charging it myself overnight.. I had stripped and replaced the brushes of the original Alternator and replaced it previously. It has worked fine but in reality it would not make any difference in turning over the engine, the fault lays farther afield. I am thinking the Solenoid or starter as the Relay looks fine.

I am looking for suggestions of any other possible faults & checks before going through the hassle of removing the Starter unit.

As a matter of interest has the once excellent 'TEOC' forum stopped operating?

Cheers

The buttons on the remote are just for the locking, the Immobilizer is a passive chip

it could be a bad engine block ground put a jumper between the engine and chassis/ negative Battery terminal and see if it make a difference

check for 12v on the starter solenoid with someone turning the key, Is it a 2 or 3 wire alternator (small plug) disconnect it a try to crank the engine

59 minutes ago, Swantee said:

As a matter of interest has the once excellent 'TEOC' forum stopped operating?

Yes...a few years ago now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, flash22 said:

The buttons on the remote are just for the locking, the Immobilizer is a passive chip

it could be a bad engine block ground put a jumper between the engine and chassis/ negative battery terminal and see if it make a difference

check for 12v on the starter solenoid with someone turning the key, Is it a 2 or 3 wire alternator (small plug) disconnect it a try to crank the engine

Turns out the Transponder was faulty or it's coding had changed. Fortunately I had another which, once located, started the engine without problems. So to anyone experiencing similar problems ... after chacking the Battery power continue by checking the transponder key before opening the bonnet.

A positive result of all the endless research I did on the electrical wiring to the starter and the dismantling of the Starter itself (Although I didnt need to go to those lengths) is I am now pretty confident that I am near expert on that part of the Previa system ... Pweee 🥴

Thanks for your suggestions All......

No flashing key on the dash ? If you had the key in and on when you jumped it in may have screwed the immobilizer, very odd

Changed the fob Battery ? You could have knocked the chip out of the case or as another member did, thought it was a piece of broken plastic and binned it

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

No flashing key on the dash ? If you had the key in and on when you jumped it in may have screwed the immobilizer, very odd

Changed the fob battery ? You could have knocked the chip out of the case or as another member did, thought it was a piece of broken plastic and binned it

It worked fine for some time after the RAC jump started it 'Flash' and it was working fine after I stripped the Alternator (The original fault) and replaced the brushes.

I have not changed the Key/Transponder  Battery although the outer casing is beginning to fall apart again and I am awaiting new ones so I will examine it when I change over and reprogram it if it still does not work.

I was checking the doors internal locks with both the Key and manually and wonder whether I might have inadvertantly recoded as I now realise that some of my actions were a part of the recoding/resetting of the Transponder. The main thing is she works, she has served me and my three teenagers well during our endless Birdwatching trips throughout the Inner and Outer Hebrides and Scotland & Wales. Beautiful motors.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links